Adam Bennett agency leaves campus

Adam Bennett agency leaves campus to make way for “other plans” in Market Square

Image: Lois Lu

Image: Lois Lu

Adam Bennett have moved their office from Market Square on the Heslington West Campus to 58 Gillygate in York as University management consider secret plans for the space.

It follows the announcement of two Starbucks outlets being introduced to campus.
A spokesperson from Adam Bennett said that the move had been considered for a long time and that the new office is in a more central location and will make it more convenient for York St. John University students.

Another agency office is planned to open by July this year on Walmgate. This will be located near the key cutting service and will make response times to tenant lock outs quicker.

Adam Bennett has existed as an agent since the break up of Yorkshire Residential Letting Agents (YRLA) in October of 2009. The agency intends to create new pick up points across York for house viewings rather than requiring potential tenants to travel to their offices.
The University’s decision to allow a letting agency on campus has been criticised in the past.

David Duncan, University Registrar & Secretary told Nouse: “Over the years, space at Market Square has been leased to more than one letting agency, none of which have had any formal association with, or were endorsed by, the University. For the time being, we have no plans to rent units at Market Square to any letting agencies, and are working on other plans for use of the space.”

Yana Walker, a first year Politics student and future Adam Bennett tenant was disappointed by the news. She said: “I was not told that the office of Adam Bennett would be moving nor have I received any e-mails about where they will relocate to. One of the reasons why I thought Adam Bennett would be a good option was because their office was on campus so it would be relatively easy to get into contact with them if need be.”

Adam Bennett are currently undergoing re-branding and, following feedback from tenants, have recently created a new website which aims to be more user-friendly than the previous site.