Festivals 2016: Down To The Woods – Preview

Down To The Woods, a brand-new festival in County Durham, offers a fantastic festival experience for a knock-down price

Source: Morten Skogly

Source: Morten Skogly

Primal Scream and Chase & Status are set to headline Down To The Woods, a brand-new, two-day festival to be held in the North-East of England across Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th of August.

The new festival, replacing the previously successful Hardwick Live, is to be held at the idyllic Hardwick Hall in County Durham, surrounded by woods and a lake. It boasts an already-impressive line-up (with many more acts still to be announced across three stages) that will surely pique the interest of music fans all around the North-East and beyond.

The festival, being described as a “special kind” of music and arts festival, promises to deliver “some of the best heritage and new acts in the country”. And the initial line-up seems to certainly support this claim.

The Saturday sees Scottish rock legends Primal Scream headline the opening night. Bobby Gillespie and co. will be playing the festival fresh off the back of 2016’s hit album Chaosmosis. Along with their successful new material, festival-goers can expect a barrage of classic hits from the Scream’s expansive back-catalogue in the set, and the thought of hearing some of their seminal 1991 album Screamadelica performed live will surely be a tantalising one for indie, rock and psychedelia fans everywhere.

Sunday night’s headliners, Chase & Status, clearly show that Down To The Woods is aiming for an eclectic spread of music across all genres. The dance music duo, famous for collaborations with some of pop music’s finest, such as Plan B and Tinie Tempah, will be bringing the drum and bass to Hardwick Hall with a collection of their hits, including Top-Ten UK Hit Singles ‘Blind Faith’, ‘Lost & Not Found’, ‘End Credits’ and ‘Count on Me’.

The festival’s commitment to showcasing some the best new talent on offer on the UK music scene is evident in Catfish & The Bottlemen‘s confirmed appearance at Down To The Woods. The Welsh, indie four-piece are hotly-tipped to become big stars, demonstrated by their recent win of the ‘British Breakthrough Act’ gong at this year’s Brit Awards. Their new album The Ride is due to be released in May of this year, and if their hit debut The Balcony is anything to go by then Catfish will be a must-see on this year’s festival circuit.

Elsewhere, Scouse post-punk icons Echo & The Bunnymen will be appearing at the festival, undoubtedly pleasing crowds with a set comprised of tunes from their critically-acclaimed back-catalogue that includes no less than 8 UK Top Twenty albums. Peter Hook and The Light will also be performing, the ex-Joy Division and New Order bassist playing the smaller Foxes Folly stage. Hooky’s project since going alone from the latter band has delighted fans by performing sets of Joy Division and New Order classics, which will no-doubt be the case at Down To The Woods, too.

Aside from the music, the festival also promises a plethora of brilliant performances in other mediums, including comedy, art and spoken-word, as well as a number of artists still yet to be announced. Importantly, though, Down To The Woods also offers something that many other music festivals lack – a commitment to keeping the prices for music fans as low as possible. With adult weekend tickets priced at just £99, Down To The Woods is set to offer a delightful festival experience with a collection of high-calibre, contemporary acts for a low price that allows you to focus your attentions for the weekend on the music, and not on your pocket.

Check out the so-far confirmed line-up below:

Source: Down To The Woods

Source: Down To The Woods