Roses 2016 Preview: Netball

UYNC don’t have the best of Roses records but their consolidation in BUCS augurs well for a strong challenge

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

College League B Winners: Friday, 11:30, Outdoor Netball Courts
College League A Winners: Friday, 13:45, Outdoor Netball Courts
College Select: Friday, 14:45, Outdoor Netball Courts
Postgraduate: Saturday, 15:00, Outdoor Netball Courts
Firsts: Saturday, 18:15, Sports Centre Hall 1
Thirds: Sunday, 11:00, Sports Centre Hall 2
Seconds: Sunday, 13:00, Sports Centre Hall 2

2015 Results

Firsts: lost 32-36
Seconds: won
Thirds: lost 18-33
College Select: lost 21-33
College League A Winners: drew 36-36
College League B Winners: won 31-24

Points Available: 10

Inside Track: Kathryn Graham, Club Captain

How have the club performed this season? 

UYNC has had an exciting season. A lot of hard work has gone into producing three strong teams which can hold their own in their corresponding leagues. With the seconds just missing out on promotion, this places them in a strong position to beat Lancaster. The firsts and thirds suffered throughout the season with injury, however, now have fully fit and fighting squads ready for York domination this weekend.

What do you expect from Lancaster?

Lancaster will come out confident this year, competing in the league above the firsts and seconds. However, they underestimate the talent and drive UYNC has to win, not forgetting the UYNC second team win over Lancaster last year. As far as were concerned it’s a level playing field, and one that York will take advantage of. 

Which individual players do you expect to stand out? 

Emma Reynolds is a fresher to the club this year, making an outstanding contribution to the third team with her amazing ball control skills and agility. Pairing up with Amy Ross (third team captain) to create quick play around the shooting circle, both players in are unstoppable in attack. Georgia Dixon (second team) has a great natural ability to control the pace of the game, along with her feeds into the shooters, deems her one to keep your eye on. You will find yourself clutching onto the edge of your seat as Grace Baker (first team Goal Shooter) manages to take the riskiest passes and capitalise them from any mark in the shooting circle, putting numbers on the board for York.

Why should people come and watch the netball? 

This year UYNC have been training hard to place ourselves in the best position possible for a whitewash. Come down and show your support and watch fast paced, intense game of netball, destroying Lancaster’s confidence.

Year in a Tweet

It’s been a great season for the Netball Seconds. They came second in their BUCS league, narrowly missing out on promotion. Here, they are seen halfway through a comprehensive win over eventual champions Sunderland 1’s, who they went on to beat 57-38. Having proven they can compete against the top teams at their level, the White Rose must look to maintain this against Lancaster.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Last year was mainly positive for us, and with extra funding and another successful season behind us, we know York will have their work cut out for them.

Nouse Verdict

York’s recent Roses record in this sport is somewhat chequered, with Lancaster recording whitewashes over all three of UYNC’s teams in the last two editions of the tournament. That said, there are portents that this year can be different.

The club’s second string have had a fine season and are going in with a real spring in their step, especially as Lancaster’s 2’s came second-bottom in their league. Meanwhile, the reintroduction of key players in the 1’s and 3’s games should invigorate both teams, although they will have to work extra hard away from home.

The college sides that have represented York have always proved tough contenders at Roses, and this year should be no different. With a vocal away support behind them- which can be key at netball events- the visitors will hope to take several points off Lancaster in this sport.