Roses 2016: Men’s Cricket

Input from the County Champions means that UYCC are well placed to challenge at Roses

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Men’s Seconds: Thursday, 11:30, Lancaster Cricket Club
Men’s Firsts: Friday, 10:00, Lancaster Cricket Club
Men’s Thirds T20: Friday, 17:00, Lancaster Cricket Club

2015 Results

Men’s Firsts: won by 111 runs
Men’s Seconds: won by four runs
Men’s Thirds T20: won by 86 runs

Points Available: 7

Inside Track: Adam McAuley, Press & Publicity Officer

How have the club performed this season?

Due to poor weather recently, as a club we’ve only managed one pre-season fixture before BUCS fixtures begin. Despite a lack of match practice, the lads have put in a lot of hard work throughout winter with our new coach Ruan Louw, a highly respected coach we’ve found from Yorkshire County Cricket Club. The knowledge and enthusiasm Ruan has implemented into our set up has been extremely valuable and we’re looking forward to putting it to practise on the pitch with all 3 teams having an eye on promotion.

What do you expect from Lancaster? 

We expect all Lancaster’s outfits to be very competitive however from our comprehensive white washing of Lancaster last year, we will look to do the same. It’ll be a contrast from last year, as Lancaster will have a strong backing from their home crowd. Nonetheless all 3 teams can’t wait to get back and perform on the Roses stage for York.

Which individual players could stand out?

The duo to look out for would be Rob Basu and Rob Carr, last seasons top wicket taker and top run scorer respectably; with a year of Roses already under their belt they know what it’s all about. The danger man in our batting department is Tim Weston- with his extravagant stroke play he’s threatening in any form of the game.

Why should people come and watch the cricket?

The 2’s game is on Thursday, the first game of Roses 2016 so with the majority of events occurring on the weekend, there is no excuse to not to get down and get behind our boys. The innovation from the likes of Ben Grindell, hostile pace bowling from Will Thurgate, and big hitting from Ben Butler. Each game will undoubtedly be entertaining, making for an enthusing spectacle and an ideal opportunity to enjoy a few beers in what hopefully will be the start of our long anticipated northern summer.

Year in a Tweet

The hard yards put in over the winter with new coach Ruan Louw, captain of the Yorkshire women’s first team, mean that UYCC couldn’t be in better shape heading into Roses.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

We’ve had a strong intake of freshers this year, so know our squad is in a much better position than last year

Nouse Verdict

Blink and you’ll miss the cricket: it’ll be wrapped up before Roses is even officially opened. This, and the fact that the events will take place at Lancaster CC off-campus, means that one of the highlights of the weekend risks being sadly marginalised.

Both sides will be a tad rusty, after struggling to get much time out in the middle due to recent wet weather. Adam McAuley, Rob Carr and Tim Weston are York’s main threats with the bat and will look to pile pressure on Lancaster’s batting order with an imposing total, or would be happy to chase any total as is in-vogue in the sport. After last year’s whitewash and a tremendous comeback on their last visit to Lancaster, expect UYCC to rack up points for the visiting side.