Roses 2016 Friday: Complete Guide

The only guide you need to all of the events on the opening day of the 52nd Roses Varsity

Image: Petroc Taylor

It’s here.

Thousands of spectators, hundreds of competitors, 139 fixtures, 50 sports and one trophy. Our very own game of thrones is about to begin.

York travel to Bailrigg in search of their fifth away win in 25 attempts and they have never been better placed to challenge.

Don’t forget, the White Rose are already 9-3 in front after the Boat Club whipped up a storm on the River Lune  last Saturday.

If you’re in Lancaster, there is a sporting smorgasbord on offer for your delectation.

Badminton get proceedings underway at 9am and the Men’s Seconds will go in confident after gaining promotion and losing once in their last five Roses outings.

At 9:30, the Futsal fixture will see York’s fast feet and fancy flicks try to outwit Lancaster and win four points to cap off another great season for the club.

Unfortunately, Lancaster Cricket Club is well off campus but if you make the journey then UYCC won’t disappoint with fours and sixes galore from 10.

The Women’s Rugby Sevens games are terrific entertainment and always high scoring. York will look to begin their defence of a whitewash with wins in the firsts and seconds games at midday and 1pm.

Get a taste of what to expect from the opening ceremony with the first ever Women’s Football Seconds game; at the same time, UYAFC’s second string will be playing on the adjacent pitch.

The Men’s Football Firsts game (3pm) will hopefully come to the boil a bit quicker than last year’s goalless draw, although it is almost certain to be another battle between York’s guile and Lancaster’s guts.

Bodies will be on the line as York Raiders play Lancaster Lynx in the rugby league at 2.30 in what should be a hugely entertaining, and even, encounter.

The men’s handball (4.30pm) game was one of the most absorbing of last year’s Roses and York were unlucky to lose 23-20. Despite several absences, they will look to push the hosts as far, if not further, once again.

There will only be one place to be from 6pm with the Opening Ceremony in Lancaster’s Stadium, the showpiece of which is the Women’s Football Firsts game. After last year’s Friday Fight Night including a female bout, this is the first time a women’s sport has opened Roses and will be a real cause for celebration.

If you’re back home in York, you needn’t miss a thing with our award-winning coverage from Lancaster all weekend. Look out for our comprehensive live blog and more tweets than you could shake a stick at.

And remember, Roses are White.