Roses 2016 Preview: Hockey

UYHC will be looking to stop Lancaster in their tracks as they play for 20 points to help York retain the Carter-James

Image: James Hostford

The Black and Gold made the JLD a fortress last year and won four of six fixtures played on it. Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Indoor Men’s Seconds: Friday, 12:45, Sports Centre Main Hall
Indoor Women’s Seconds: Friday, 13:35, Sports Centre Main Hall
Indoor Women’s Firsts: Friday, 14:25, Sports Centre Main Hall
Indoor Men’s Firsts: Friday, 15:15, Sports Centre Main Hall
Men’s Thirds: Saturday, 09:20, Astro 1
Men’s Seconds: Saturday, 10:40, Astro 1
Women’s Thirds: Saturday, 12:00, Astro 1
Women’s Seconds: Saturday, 13:30, Astro 1
Men’s Firsts: Saturday, 14:40, Astro 1
Women’s Firsts: Saturday, 16:00, Astro 1

2015 Results

Men’s Firsts: won 3-0
Men’s Seconds: won 12-0
Men’s Thirds: won 1-0
Women’s Firsts: drew 0-0
Women’s Seconds: drew 2-2
Women’s Thirds: won 2-0
Indoor Men’s Firsts: won 7-2
Indoor Men’s Seconds: won 3-2
Indoor Women’s Firsts: drew 2-2
Indoor Women’s Seconds: drew 2-2

Points Available: 20

Inside Track: Helena Page & Fred Charlton, Club Presidents

How have the club performed this season?

This season the club earned 50 BUCS points for the university, the sixth highest contribution out of York’s BUCS sports and all of our six teams successfully held their own in their respective leagues. Of particular note were the Ladies 2 XI who won every league game on offer to secure promotion two seasons running, whilst the ladies 1 XI went all the way to the final of the Northern Conference Cup, a first for UYHC.

What do you expect from Lancaster?

We expect them to be looking for revenge after failing to win a single match last year out of the ten on offer. However, UYHC are not complacent and matches against Lancaster are always fiercely competitive. Their teams will be well drilled, particularly for the four indoor hockey fixtures which are played on the Friday. Nevertheless, we are confident our teams will rise to the challenge again this year and we look forward to showing them what we are capable of.

Which individual players could stand out?

Spectators should keep an eye on first-year goal keepers Rob Levy and Lucy Scott who have been known to make a number of match-winning saves. However, hopefully our keepers won’t have much to worry about with stalwart defenders like Frances Livera and Laura Mitchell in action from the Ladies 1’s and 2’s! Annie Dove and Megan Wing are the mid-field duo to watch from the Ladies 3’s, whilst Lindsay O’Brien and Leo Watton’s creativity on the ball has been vital. Callum McCulloch, Seb Harwood, Tory Clark and Tim Silcock are also sure to be nuisance for Lancaster’s defenders.

Why should people come and watch the hockey?

If people are looking for a great atmosphere they should look no further than UYHC’s ten matches over Roses weekend. The four indoor hockey matches on the Friday are always fast paced and high-scoring. Saturday will see some intense contests taking place on the Astroturf, with some spectacular performances on the cards following the Men’s 2XI emphatic 12-0 victory last year. UYHC’s Roses weekend is always packed full of excitement and pitch-side support for the white rose away in Lancaster will be more important than ever.

Year in a Tweet

The Ladies 2’s had a superb season, ending with an unblemished record and ten wins from ten. The 1’s sadly fell at the final hurdle in the Conference Cup against Bangor- in Lancaster, funnily enough- and will look to banish those bad memories this weekend.

Nouse Verdict

An entirely undefeated weekend for UYHC- which across ten fixtures is no mean feat- was a hugely decisive factor in the emphatic nature of the home win for the White Rose. The ladies teams last year dictated the tempo of their games but were unable to see them over the line to victories; after supreme seasons in BUCS, they will be confident they can translate performances into points. If York can hold their own in such a way in the hockey games this year, there’s no reason why that couldn’t similarly act as a catalyst for a fifth away Roses win in 25 attempts.