UYWAFC President ‘privileged’ to open Roses

Jermy feels her team have a ‘really good chance’ of turning over hosts Lancaster in the opener

12734266 10153469103900003 8830631061630815280 n

Image: UYWAFC

It will be a ‘privilege’ for the Women’s Football club to take part in the opening ceremony of Roses, according to president Sophie Jermy.

UYWAFC Firsts will kick off the 52nd Roses tournament and begin York’s defence of the Carter-James Trophy on Friday night.

Jermy is honoured by the club’s opportunity to compete in the weekend’s showpiece and told Nouse that she fancies her side’s chances.

“It shows how far women’s football and women’s sport have come,” she said.

“It’s such a privilege for us. We’re happy to represent not only the university but women’s sport in general.

“We’ve got a really good chance against Lancaster, they haven’t done the best this year and we’ve been promoted again.

“We’re very confident that it’s going to be a good show for everyone to watch.”

The third-year, who looks likely to lose her battle with fitness and take a place on the bench, is confident that the Black and Gold will be able to cope with the game’s intensity.

“Naturally, there’s going to be a bit of pressure on us, there’s going to be nerves,” Jermy said.

“You know what, we’re just going to play the same way we’ve been playing.

“It’s another football match, there may be more people watching but we’re just going to do our best, that’s all we can do.

“Games we’re involved in are fast, we like to press high up and move the ball around quickly.

“It’s going to be an attacking game, it’s not going to be boring.”

The club’s president recognised the role of experienced players such as herself and Anty Cole in cajoling the youngsters in the team, but testified to their ability.

“We’ve got a fantastic group of young players coming through,” Jermy said.

“Katherine (Batte), our goalkeeper, is a fresher and she’s let in so few goals for us this season- she’s been a rock for us- so I think she’s going to be vital.

“Other players like Annie (Chambers) and Anna (Middlemiss) are less in the spotlight. They play such a key role in protecting the back four and also starting attacks.

“A lot of our play will go through them.”

UYWAFC Firsts have gained BUCS promotions in the last two years, going up from Northern 3B and 2B as champions. In the process, they have lost just two of 20 league games with some handsome scorelines along the way.

Jermy puts their ability to get into the winning habit down to the inclusive ethos perpetuated across the club, as well as the input of coach Sam Gevaux.

“Sam has done fantastic things for the club and I think the key thing is the ethos we have here,” she commented.

“We don’t turn anyone away, we’re very welcoming and that team bonding has got us there, to be honest.

“The girls we’ve got in the squad at the moment work so hard and that’s come from the ethos of the club over the years; putting everything you’ve got on the pitch and having fun off it.”