Roses 2016 Preview: Volleyball

York’s men are cup winners and unbeaten in their last 14 games. Can they keep this run going in Lancaster?

Image: James Hostford

Lancaster were all at sea in last year’s mixed volleyball match, which York won 3-0. Image: James Hostford

Mixed: Friday, 17:50, Sports Centre Hall 1
Women’s: Saturday, 13:20, Sports Centre Hall 1
Men’s: Sunday, 15:05, Sports Centre Hall 2

2015 Results

Image: James Hostford

York hosted a sitting volleyball match in 2015- the first ever disabled sport at Roses. Image: James Hostford

Women’s: lost 0-3 (Last 5 Roses: LWWWW)
Men’s: lost 1-3 (Last 5 Roses: LLLLW)
Mixed: won 3-0 (Last 5 Roses: WLLLW)

Points Available: 10

Inside Track: Mark Woodward, Club President

How have the club performed this season?

The club has performed incredibly well this season. Our women’s first team had a strong season with a mid-table finish from an almost entirely new team, our men’s second team finished joint top of their league, our women’s seconds had another fantastic season and will be on the hunt for promotion next year. Finally, our men’s first team remained undefeated all season, winning the BUCS Northern Conference Cup and securing promotion into Northern 1A next year. A new addition for this year, our sitting volleyball team also competed at the National Sitting Volleyball Championships in Kettering, a competition we hope to play and succeed in again next year.

What do you expect from Lancaster? 

Their men’s side have been demoted from Northern 1A- the league our men’s first team is moving into next year- so it will be a great eye opener from us for the standard we need to play at to do well next year. Lancaster women’s first team are a strong side, but our women’s first team have more than enough talent and energy to make this fixture into what could be one of the best games of Roses. Our track record at Roses hasn’t been the best, but our teams are stronger than ever this year.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out? 

There’s really too many to name. However, if I was to pick out a few to watch, from the men’s team, both our new 6’11” opposite hitter Harald Fredheim and ex-Lancaster setter Stefano Lucherini would be up there! On the women’s team, watch out for new recruit Julija Guobyte putting big hits in through outside and libero Anna Zolotariof who’ll be diving around and ensuring a quality first pass. There’s a lot of great players playing in the mixed game too. To name a few, Sophie Rudge and Ilaria Remotti are both exceptionally strong women’s players who’ll bring experience and skill to the court.

Why should people come and watch the volleyball?

The tension! All our Roses games in previous years have been some of the closest and best fought contests of the whole games. The atmosphere in those final few points when there’s hundreds of spectators cheering both sides on is incredible! Every point is a fight, so there’s exciting moments every minute of the game.

Year in a Tweet

The Volleyball Men are the outstanding individual team going to Lancaster to represent York, hands down. They are unbeaten in 14 games in all competitions, strolling to BUCS promotion and claiming the Conference Cup with a straight sets success over Salford. The Red Rose will be going some to stop these boys.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Last year was very strong for us on foreign soil, so hopefully with the home crowd behind us, we can win all of the game this year.

Nouse Verdict

On paper, there is nothing remarkable about UYVC’s Roses record. In fact, the men have lost their last four games against Lancaster. Last year, they failed to translate home advantage and a 2nd place finish in BUCS into Roses points, losing 1-3.

What a difference a year makes. The Firsts haven’t lost a single game since then and have barely dropped a set, while the women’s team- who also suffered a reverse in 2015- have stabilised in mid-table after losing several key players. Both teams are very well placed to challenge and there are several mixed volleyball specialists who will hope to repeat last year’s straight-sets thumping in which the visitors barely took a point off York.

Volleyball is a great watch and always generates a good atmosphere, so get down to the Sports Hall and cheer the White Rose to three wins in these fixtures- which they are more than capable of.