Roses 2016 Preview: Darts

As ever, Saturday night’s Darts will be an unmissable feature of the Roses weekend

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

Fixtures

Open Seconds: Saturday, 13:00, County Bar
Women’s: Saturday, 16:00, Great Hall
Men’s: Saturday, 20:00, Great Hall

2015 Results

Men’s: lost 4-5
Women’s: lost 2-7
Open Seconds: lost 3-6

Points Available: 10

Inside Track: Jack Allsopp, Club President

How have the club performed this season? 

Our teams have performed outstandingly in the regional league. Both the 1s and the 2s have qualified for the national finals day. We are also the first university to enter a women’s team to the league meaning our girls have vital match experience.

What do you expect from Lancaster?

We are unsure what to expect from Lancaster because a few of their good player have now graduated. Nevertheless, we know they will always put up a tough fight.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out? 

There are a few new players in out team who have impressed throughout the year. For example Josh Habgood who made it to the quarter finals of the national singles competition.

Why should people come and watch the darts?

Darts is a fantastic spectator sport – I can guarantee the atmosphere will be electric and two of the best university darts teams in the country are on show… Oh and the beers will be flowing!

Year in a Tweet

University darts clubs travelled far and wide for the biggest competition of its kind every staged in York last month. Many of the clubs who took part praised York’s organisation of the event and the team itself had some success; with Fred Evans going out in the semi-final to eventual winners Newcastle- no shame there.

Nouse Verdict

Unfortunately, York couldn’t make use of home advantage last year in quite the way they’d hoped; they lost all three darts fixtures. With the likes of Evans, Alaistair Cawdron, Josh Habgood and Viv Parekh set to shine, it should be a memorable night of revelry in Lancaster’s Great Hall- it’s time for them to show they can host as good a party as us.