Roses 2016 Preview: Badminton

With points on offer across all three days of the Roses weekend, Badminton could provide a steady stream of points for York

Image: James Hostford

The Men’s Firsts Badminton team will be hoping to win their fifth successive Roses contest. Image: James Hostford

Men’s Seconds: Friday, 09:00, Sports Centre Hall 1
Mixed: Friday, 09:00, Sports Centre Hall 1
Women’s Firsts: Saturday, 09:00, Sports Centre Hall 2
Men’s Firsts: Sunday, 11:45, Sports Centre Hall 1
Women’s Seconds: Sunday, 11:45, Sports Centre Hall 1

2015 Results

Image: James Hostford

In last year’s edition of Roses the Women’s team blew Lancaster away 8-1. Image: James Hostford

Mixed: won 7-2 (Last 5 Roses: WLWWL)
Women’s Seconds: won 6-3 (Last 5 Roses: WLW)
Men’s Seconds: won 8-1 (Last 5 Roses: WLWWW)
Women’s Firsts: won 8-1 (Last 5 Roses: WLWWW)
Men’s Firsts: won 7-2 (Last 5 Roses: WWWWW)

Points Available: 16

Inside Track: James Judd

How have the club performed this season?

We have three men’s teams and two ladies teams who participate in BUCS leagues. This season we have managed three promotions which is an unprecedented success for the badminton team.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

Lancaster men’s first team managed to win the Northern conference cup this year so we expect a tough fight there. In previous years our badminton teams have been very well matched usually with the home/away advantage being a deciding factor. Despite playing away we are in great form and all of our players are looking forward to the challenge.

Which individual players could stand out? 

Our top men’s player Alex Ingham won sportsman of the year at the Colours Ball this year he will be taking part in the men’s doubles. Also Olly Hoult had promised to wear some very lary shorts so he will definitely stand out.

Why should people come and watch the badminton? 

Badminton is a great fast paced game and our team is stronger than ever. We will thrive on the support so we’d love to see as many people as possible

Year in a Tweet

It has been a champagne year for the Badminton club as they have achieved a staggering three promotions. What’s more, out of the 36 BUCS fixtures their promoted teams have played this year, York have tasted defeat in just two of them. The only way to improve on such a stellar season would be to repeat last year’s Roses whitewash- and who would bet against them?

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Both men’s teams gained promotion and our men’s 1sts won the Northern Conference Cup. We know momentum always helps at Roses and this should show next weekend.

Nouse Verdict

If you’ve played badminton for York this year, you’ve probably been on the winning side. That never hurts going into Roses.

The White Rose have a point to prove on Lancaster soil, though, after they only narrowly escaped a whitewash in the last away Roses in 2014. They will meet an improved home side as well, after Lancaster’s men’s team brought home silverware in the shape of the hotly contested Northern Conference Cup. Given the high number of points on offer in this sport, York’s ability to impose themselves from the off- as the visiting team- will be key.