Festivals 2016: T in the Park – Preview

T in the Park boasts something for fans of absolutely anything in 2016, with a knockout set of headliners to boot

T press

Source: T in the Park

Scotland’s premier music festival T in the Park returns again in 2016 at Strathallan Castle from the 8th to the 10th of July with a scintillating line-up including headline slots from Calvin Harris, Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Stone Roses.

Since its debut in 1994, T has gone from strength-to-strength, its regularly captivating line-ups attracting ever-increasing audiences to the point where it is now one of the largest music festivals in the UK, with around 250,000 visitors each year to the three-day event, a spectator figure unhampered by its recent move to Strathallan Castle from its previous Lanarkshire home in 2015.

T in the Park 2016 boasts a yet-again impressive line-up. The Friday is to be headlined by Mancunian legends The Stone Roses, in what is as yet their only confirmed UK festival date, returning to Scotland following their brilliant 2012 headline appearance. Fans can look forward to the seminal band performing some new tracks for the first time since their reunion was announced in 2011, with recent news reports that the band are recording a new album, their first since 1994, being confirmed. And that’s not to mention the catalogue of old classics that will be on show, with a lengthy list of greats from ‘Fools Gold’ to ‘Waterfall’ and everything in between almost certainly set to be performed.

The Saturday headline slot sees dance and pop maestro Calvin Harris perform. Calvin is a Scot himself, and festival goers can expect a raucous home nation crowd greeting Calvin’s expansive set of hits that includes no less than 5 UK Number One Singles, and more recent hits ‘Blame’, ‘Outside’ and ‘How Deep Is Your Love’. Expect a plethora of guest stars too.

On the Sunday, US rockers Red Hot Chili Peppers have the honour of closing a weekend of great music as headliners. The legendary rock outfit will be playing the festival for only the second time, following their previous headline appearance a decade ago in 2006. The Californian icons will bring their brand of legendary sing-a-longs and balls-to-the-wall rock and roll to Perthshire.

Meanwhile, there is a veritable feast of musical delights to be enjoyed elsewhere throughout the weekend. The Last Shadow Puppets will be performing hot on the heels of their critically acclaimed second album, as will The Coral, who have only recently released their eighth studio album, Distance Inbetween, that has served as a return to form for the indie outfit from the Wirral.

Indie fans also have the likes of Courteeners to enjoy, who have enjoyed a prodigious rise to stardom in recent years. Other highlights in the line-up include some younger, rising stars: the ever-improving Catfish and the Bottlemen, The 1975 (another band buoyed by a recent hit album) and Jake Bugg.

The festival also provides a wealth of dance acts for any ravers attending. Legendary trance icons Faithless will be performing on the Sunday, as will Major Lazer. Meanwhile, Disclosure will be bringing their modern dance efforts to the festival on the Friday, fresh off the back of a barnstorming, star-studded Coachella performance that included guest slots from AlunaGeorge, Lorde and Sam Smith. The Lawrence Brothers will hopefully have something similarly spectacular planned for T. And that’s not to forget the recently reformed, New York electronic giants LCD Soundsystem performing on the Sunday.

Finally, for any pop fans attending the festival, fear not; there’s plenty on offer for you, too – and Saturday will be your favourite. Alongside headliner Calvin Harris, breakout success Jess Glynne will be performing a set of her many recent hits on the Saturday. Poppy-rock band Bastille will be performing, as will Tinie Tempah.

And while all this brilliant music is going on, you can’t forget the fact that it will be against the backdrop of T in the Park’s iconic, light-up big wheel. See you at the Castle in July.

See the full T in the Park line-up below:

Source: T in the Park

Source: T in the Park