York wins Roses wakeboarding

York win the first ever Roses wakeboarding competition

York was victorious over Lancaster at the first ever Roses wakeboarding event on Saturday 23 April.

IMG 3807

The event was held at Salford Watersports Centre and both Lancaster and UCLAN universities were represented in the competition against YUWake, the University of York’s wakeboarding and waterskiing club.

This is the first time that wakeboarding has ever been included in Roses and it will therefore not contribute towards the overall competition scores.

The competition included a beginner category, and an open category which was for more advanced riders. Points were awarded for style and consistency as well as the number of successfully completed obstacles.

YUWake competed with a team of 14 people and managed to win the competition with a score of 28 against Lancaster’s 14. York collected all available medals in the women’s categories and two medals in the men’s competition.

IMG 3394

Jemma Allman, the President of YUWake said: “The event was hugely successful – not only the victory for York but having wakeboarding as part of Roses.

“York did absolutely brilliantly, with a huge representation of all abilities, with everybody giving it their best. I’m so grateful to all the organisers and everyone who took part and had a fantastic day!”

Lara Mackey, founder of the club and winner of the women’s open category commented: “I couldn’t have done it without YUWake cheering me on from the side lines!

“Everyone had a great day and it was awesome meeting everyone from Lancaster, but it was even better smashing them.”

YUWake is a relatively new club having been founded in 2013. It has seen its membership increase by developing beginner friendly training sessions to encourage more students to try wakeboarding and waterskiing.

For more information on how to try these sports, visit the club’s Facebook page or email [email protected].

The majority of Roses events will be held at Lancaster University on the weekend of 29 April to 1 May.