Roses 2016 Preview: Swimming & Water Polo

UYSWC will be hoping for a super Saturday in the pool as they fight it out for 16 Roses points

Images: Phillipa Grafton

Women’s Swimming: Saturday, 11:00, Swimming Pool
Men’s Swimming: Saturday, 11:00, Swimming Pool
Women’s Water Polo: Saturday, 17:45, Swimming Pool
Men’s Water Polo: Saturday, 19:15, Swimming Pool

2015 Results

Men’s Swimming: won 77-61
Women’s Swimming: won 78-62
Men’s Water Polo: drew 5-5
Women’s Water Polo: won 13-4

Points Available: 16

Inside Track: Beth Richards, Club President

How have the club performed this season?

The majority of the teams have had a tough season this year but we have pulled through with some great results. Our hard work and dedication to training has paid off with many personal bests, record breaking swims, and even making a BUCS final. The water polo teams have lost some key players this year, but despite this their team work has help produce some inspiring results.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

We except a tough fight from Lancaster in their home pool. Last year we went unbeaten, winning 14 of the 16 points on offer, so we expect Lancaster are hungry for more this year. Despite this, having swum and played against them already this year, we know that we are more than capable of beating them.

What individual swimmers could stand out? 

For women’s swimming: Butterfly competitors Alix Eastham and Beth Richards, Jade Hutchinson in 100m free, and Hannah Howitt in 200m free. In the men’s Victor Amara in the 100m free, Bill Timpany in the 100m fly and, Sam Timpany in the 50m breast. Goal keeper Fran Falcini in the women’s water polo, as well as attackers Jenny Worrell and Beth Richards, and Sarah Peacop in defence. In the Men’s water-polo goalkeeper Young Gawthorpe, and Filippo Cocozza.

Why should people come and watch the swimming & water polo?

Swimming really is an exciting sport to spectate, with many sprint races at Roses often being neck and neck until the very end! We expect to see more record breaking swims from the white rose, with the relay races being of particular interest. With the water polo being on the Saturday night, the atmosphere is always electric. The games are fast paced and dynamic with a lot to fight for, so expect some exciting matches!

Year in a Tweet

The swimming arm of UYSWC blazed a trail at the National Masters, coming back with enough silverware to weigh down even their broad shoulders. They broke several club records, including Chris Unsworth’s 2.38.84 in the 200m breaststroke and Bill Timpany’s 2.20.01 in the 200m fly. The scary thing for Lancaster is they haven’t even peaked yet.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Our water polo men gained a good draw last year, and know that a home advantage is always key in Roses. Our women are equally determined to avenge last year’s loss, and strong new members will be sure to make this happen.

Nouse Verdict

The White Rose have a superb record in the pool at Roses and expect this to continue in this year’s edition. Lancaster’s snatching of a 5-5 draw in the Men’s water polo was the only thing that seperated York from a whitewash. If they can adapt to conditions and quell what will be a boisterous Saturday night crowd, the visitors can plunder the majority of the 16 points on offer in these events.