Roses 2016 Preview: Basketball

The basketball games will be one of the crucial battlegrounds on which the War of the Roses will be won or lost

Image: James Hostford

The men’s firsts fell to a narrow 67-74 loss last year in a pulsating game in the Tent. Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Women’s: Saturday, 16:00, Sports Centre Hall 1
Men’s Seconds: Sunday, 09:30, Sports Centre Hall 1
Men’s Firsts: Sunday, 15:00, Sports Centre Hall 1

2015 Results

Men’s: lost 67-74
Women’s: won 69-63

Points Available: 8

Inside Track: Charlotte Laverick & Fred Brown, Club Presidents

How have the club performed this season? 

It has been a particularly challenging year for the club as a whole, with the departure of both crucial players and team coaches at the end of last season. Despite this, Men’s 2nd team dominated their BUCS league not only achieving promotion but also recording an unbeaten season.

What do you expect from Lancaster?

Lancaster are a BUCS league above both our Men’s and Women’s teams. Last year, Lancaster scraped defeat over the men however the White Rose reigned supreme in the Women’s game. We are expecting a fierce battle from all three games as Lancaster are a strong team and will provide a tough match.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out? 

During the Women’s game, watch as Canadian shooter Hopkins shoots the lights out until Lancaster’s power stops. Also, McElwee’s defensive ability is unrivalled, be ready to catch the ball when York are on defence as that ball is getting swiped into the crowd. As for the Men’s, the teamwork and determination of Brown and Schreiber always poses as a threat. The vigour and speed of captain Sobowale, extensive shooting range of Tsoi and unparalleled athletic ability of Jago place Men’s 1st team in perfect contention. Underdog McAuliffe is another to look for, with his tenacious rebounding and natural scoring ability.

Why should people come and watch the basketball?

Basketball is a really fast paced game that has many highlights. Unlike other sports it must have a winner and there is always something going on. The game has a lot of energy and the speed of end to end play makes it very exciting for a spectator. With plenty of fan involvement through cheering and chants, it makes the game all the more interesting.

Year in a Tweet

A minor blip in the Men’s Two’s season came in their 66-46 reverse at Lancaster in the cup. They have a chance to make amends for this defeat in their first ever appearance on the Roses programme, although their game on Sunday will not count for points. With eight wins from eight and promotion, the visitors have a great chance of bagging the bragging rights here.

Nouse Verdict

In the last away Roses, the men’s basketball team pulled off what was widely called the shock of the tournament after turning over Lancaster 57-50 on their own patch.

In 2014, the home side were three leagues above York; now they are only one division above. Notwithstanding that the White Rose go into the game as underdogs after a disappointing BUCS season and last year’s loss, which Francis Sobowale- one of the outstanding athletes at the institution- will be doing all in his power to avenge. The women’s game should be an even affair and York impressed last year in victory.

If the destination of the Carter-James Trophy goes down to the wire, the men’s game late on Sunday could be absolutely crucial.