Roses 2016 Preview: Women’s Rugby

It’s been another challenging year for UYWRUFC but they are relishing the prospect of an away Roses

Image: James Hostford

UYWRUFC sealed a historic whitewash over Lancaster last year, winning all three of their games. Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Rugby Sevens Seconds: Friday, 12:00, Rugby Pitch 2, 1 point
Rugby Sevens Firsts: Friday, 13:00, Rugby Pitch 2, 2 points
Rugby Union: Saturday, 14:00, Stadium, 4

2015 Results

Rugby Union: won 25-10 (Last 5 Roses: WWWLL)
Rugby Sevens Firsts: won 22-12 (Last 5 Roses: WWLLL) 
Rugby Sevens Seconds: won 15-10 (Last 4 Roses: WLLL) 

Points Available: 7

Inside Track: Katie Layley, Press & Publicity Officer

How have the club performed this season?

Our season did not quite go to plan this season, ending in relegation. However morale is still as high as it could be going into Roses 2016. With hours of intense training, our girls, the majority of whom are new to rugby this year, are ready to take on Lancaster and get that whitewash once again

What do you expect from Lancaster? 

We’re expecting high levels of aggression from Lancaster. But we wont let that effect us and we are going to fight back even stronger.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out? 

This year we have a lot of players who could stand out at Roses. Flankers Serena Brymer and Sarah Thalayasingam are definitely two to watch out for. Also Ellie Seagrave on the wing, and Rachel Davies at scrum half.

Why should people come and watch the women’s rugby?

It will be a tough and close game meaning that it is definitely one to watch! With more and more people taking part in women’s rugby come on down, see what all the hype is about and watch us fight for the White Rose.

Year in a Tweet

If Twitter is anything to go by, no club has been more thorough in their preparations for Roses than UYWRUFC. They have embarked on a rigorous fitness programme in the lead-up, setting tough regimes for their players to follow over the Easter holidays. On their return to York, they have been working even harder on fitness. By next weekend, they should be lean, mean and ready to deprive the Red Rose of seven points.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Last year was equally disappointing for our women’s rugby team, but our squad is ever-expanding and we also achieved our best league finish to date. York should know that they’ll be facing our toughest team to date.

Nouse Verdict

It’s been another challenging year on the field for the Women’s Rugby Club, who unfortunately suffered relegation from Northern 1A. During pre-season, they set the target of doing more than survive but unfortunately they were unable to do so.

Under head coach Ian Thomson, the team continues to progress and the club itself is in rude health as it continues to attract fresh blood. They have established a stranglehold on the Roses points in this sport and after last year’s whitewash, in which the Sevens second-string won their game for the first time, they will be expecting to dictate proceedings in all three games.

The Sevens games in particular are fast-paced, open affairs that are always laden with tries and would be a good way to break your way into Roses on Friday lunchtime.