Roses 2016 Preview: Rugby League

York’s Raiders will look to bridge the gap in experience with sheer commitment in the rugby league showdown with Lancaster Lynx

12592779 457069911157309 7101672980525300819 n

Frank Simpson forges forward in a narrow 12-10 loss to Bangor University. Image: UYRL

Men’s Firsts: Friday, 14:30, Rugby Pitch 2

2015 Results

Men’s Firsts: lost 14-24

Points available: 4

Inside Track: Hugo Reid, Social Secretary

How have the club performed this season?

Although the results may not show it, the team has had some great performances. We have taken many teams in our league the whole way, and have only fallen away through lack of experience, with this being our first year in BUCS.

What do you expect from Lancaster? 

Lancaster may have enjoyed a victory last year, but a much improved second half performance, with a significant margin of 8 points in our favour, highlighted that the first half was all down to nerves. There is still no doubt that
the game will be incredibly physical, but we are more than ready for them.

Which individual players could stand out? 

Although it is hard to find individuals amongst such a large group of excellent players, Frank ‘Knightstriker’ Simpson‘s quick feet and hands give the team true impetus in attack, and inspirational leader Matthew Dickinson‘s tenacious attitude in defence will be vital in keeping Lancaster’s attack at bay.

Why should people come and watch the rugby league? 

Rugby League is a game that has some sort of attraction for everyone. Whether it is the dazzling feet and the adventurous offloads of the men out wide, or the sheer force and brutality of the tackles, there will be undoubted entertainment.

Year in a Tweet

The Raiders unfortunately fell at the first hurdle in the BUCS Conference Cup, losing 38-0 at home to neighbours Hull. At least we don’t have to spend three years in Hull.

Nouse Verdict

The Lancaster Lynx reside two leagues above the Raiders and are comfortably mid-table in Northern 2A; on the face of it, the odds are stacked against the visitors to come away with anything from this fixture.

Despite a difficult year in BUCS, which saw York suffer five losses from five, progress was seen particularly in the spirited showing against Bangor. This is still a young sport at the University and the ten-point margin of defeat last year shows there is something to really build on as they head to Lancaster. One thing is for sure, there are few more entertaining sports to watch- you could do a lot worse than give the Raiders a cheer on Friday afternoon.