Roses 2016 Preview: Futsal

This is the first Roses in which the futsal fixture will count for points, and expect York to collect them

Image: James Hostford

Coach Junior Roberti highlights Mahiko Konishi as a key source of experience in a young side. Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Men’s: Friday, 09:30, Sports Centre Hall 1

2015 Results

Men’s: won 9-4

Points Available: 4

Inside Track: Junior Roberti (Head Coach) & Dave Clarkson (Press & Publicity Officer)

DC: How have the club performed this season?

It has been a mixed season, but University students have played a key role in the great success enjoyed by the National League side in reaching the promotional play-offs to the National Super League.  Additionally York will be very motivated to win so that we end the season in a positive manner after a difficult BUCS campaign, as we did last year.

JR: What do you expect from Lancaster? 

I am expecting a strong Lancaster team that didn’t like losing to us last year and has worked hard during the year in order to beat us at their home Roses. I am sure it will be a hard game for us, even more so because we are still playing in other competitions such as the National League and FA Cup.

JR: Which individual rowers could stand out?

I would like to highlight our captain Mahiko Konishi. Mahiko is getting more experienced and he is helping the team a lot by being able to pass on his knowledge. With the rest of our squad being predominantly under 21, an older player can make a difference. Jack Revill is another player to watch out for as he is improving week by week. His participation at the highest level in the country and also in friendlies abroad has definitely helped his confidence which is starting to translate into his performances on the pitch.

DC: Why should people come and watch the futsal?

Futsal is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK. It is a fast paced technical game with 5 players on each side which helps to improve movement, touch and vision; it is seen as key in the development of many Spanish and South American football players. Played inside on a hard surfaced pitch and with a ball heavier than a regular football, Futsal is perfect for creative and technically-astute players.  Furthermore as a spectator sport, it provides the ultimate combination of showmanship, teamwork and exciting, dynamic play.

Year in a Tweet

There are so many to choose from in what has been another outstanding year. A 6-2 defeat of Liverpool, however, provided what was arguably the highlight in the shape of the Division Two North title. A three-figure crowd in the Tent cheered the Black and Gold to promotion and the latest purposeful step in the remarkable story of this club.

Red Rose Report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

Last year was the first ever match, let alone Roses, for our men’s futsal team. We are aware we are up against it in this sport, but we definitely have the grit and determination to pull off an upset

Nouse Verdict

Despite ongoing involvement in several cup competitions, UYFC’s undivided attention turns to Roses and the stakes are that bit higher this year- this is the first time futsal will count for points towards either team’s total.

Promotion in the league and FA Cup run have proved successful for the team, although they went winless in their BUCS campaign and must pick themselves up from a disappointing playoff semi-final defeat to Stirling in the National League. External recognition has come in the shape of an England Under-19 call up for Myles Chadwick, as well as the Team of the Year Award at the Active York awards.

It should be a matter of time before our highly successful ladies team gets the chance to pit their wits against the Red Rose; although the ball will be in Lancaster’s court on that one. In the meantime, an early four points will go York’s way in the shape of a futsal win.