Roses 2016 Preview: Squash

A BUCS promotion and their recent record means the White Rose go into the squash events full of confidence

Image: James Hostford

The Men’s Firsts have won their last five Roses contests. Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Men’s Thirds: Saturday, 12:00
Men’s Firsts: Saturday, 12:00
Men’s Seconds: Saturday, 15:00
Women’s: Saturday, 15:00

2015 Results

Men’s Firsts: won 5-0 (Last 5 Roses: WWWWW)
Men’s Seconds: lost 2-3 (Last 5 Roses: LWWLW)
Men’s Thirds: won 5-0 (Last 2 Roses: WW)
Women’s: lost 4-0 (Last 5 Roses: LLLLW)

Points available: 11

Inside Track: Emma Claydon, Press & Publicity Officer

How have the club performed this season? 

This has been a fantastic season for our women’s team who have been promoted as league champions. Our men’s teams have had a challenging season: despite playing brilliantly, they have both had several close matches this year due to a struggle to get a full team out on occasion, but both teams are looking to finish on a high at Roses next weekend.

What do you expect from Lancaster?

Last year our men’s 1sts whitewashed Lancaster, winning all 5 games, and our men’s 2nds had a narrow loss at 2-3. For our women, last year was tough, but, with new players this year helping secure promotion, they will be confident of a change in fortune against Lancaster.

Which individual players could stand out?

Each player brings their own strengths to the court however, if pushed to pick, our women’s team fresher, Faye Deakin, is definitely worth a watch; calm and collected on court, every shot is clean and perfectly placed – you won’t see better technique from many players. In our men’s teams, the seconds’ Brent McCormick would be a great watch due to his clear passion for the sport and determination to succeed on court. In our men’s 1sts, Adam Percy, new to the team, has been an asset this year and is looking to round off a promising debut year with a maiden victory at Roses!

Why should people come and watch the squash?

It’s always surprising squash doesn’t gather more of a crowd – it’s such an exciting, fast-paced, energetic game to watch. Not only do you get to witness some astounding levels of fitness but the skill required is phenomenal. Watching players race from one end of the court to lunge for a drop shot you thought impossible to reach, to the other end of the court to smash an unreturnable winning drive gets your adrenaline flowing like no other sport. Come and watch, you’ll be surprised how much you’ll love it!

Year in a Tweet

While the men’s team have only won twice this season and have struggled to impose themselves on their BUCS league, the women’s team won six of their eight games and gained promotion from Northern 2B.

Nouse Verdict

Squash should prove a rich supply of points at this year’s tournament. The men’s sides will find motivation in the desire to finish their average seasons strongly, whereas the women will be eager to add a Roses victory to their long list of successes this season. It will be tough to adapt to unfamiliar courts but, assuming this transition is swift, the squash matches will provide some of the closest and most exciting clashes to be found throughout the weekend.