Roses 2016 Preview: Lacrosse

York have lost just two of their last 15 lacrosse bouts at Roses, but Lancaster are unlikely to roll over this time round

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Fixtures

Men’s Firsts: Saturday, 11:30, Grass Area
Women’s Firsts: Saturday, 14:00, Grass Area
Mixed: Sunday, 14:00, Grass Area

2015 Results

Image: James Hostford

York strolled to an 18-8 win in last year’s Mixed match. Image: James Hostford

Men’s Firsts: drew 10-10 (Last 5 Roses: DLWWW)
Women’s Firsts: won 18-2 (Last 5 Roses: WWWWL)
Mixed: won 18-8 (Last 5 Roses: WWWWW)

Points Available: 10

Inside Track: Alex Bell, Club President

How have the club performed this season?

The Club has had one of its best seasons yet. The Women’s 1s have maintained their form by finishing third in Division 1 for the second year in a row. The Women’s 2s have been promoted for the first time in their history, while the Men’s 1s and 2s have fought off some fierce competition to finish in great positions in their respective leagues.

What do you expect from Lancaster? 

We expect the Roses games to be great competition. The Girls believe we can continue our winning streak at Roses and we have never lost the women’s game. The men, however, have a much tougher fight on their hands as Lancaster have had one their best seasons yet. Of course this means nothing and the men will still put up a fantastic fight!

Which individual players do you expect to stand out

There are some absolutely amazing players in the squads this year, some of which are leaving us including Aru Ilekovan, Chloe Searle, Danni Jackson, Hattie Washer; the list could continue for a very long time! There are some brilliant first and second year players that will also shine in the Roses game.

Why should people come and watch the lacrosse?

Lacrosse is one of the fastest moving and intense games. People should come watch the women’s game to see Lancaster get beaten, we are hoping to improve on last year’s high score this year. The Men’s game has one of the best atmospheres at Roses, the rivalry is intense and so is the violence- in men’s game a tackle is hitting your opponent with your stick!

Year in a Tweet

The Ladies Firsts came back from Preston with silverware, winning the national eight-side championship. They beat close BUCS adversaries Leeds 1’s in the semi-final 5-4 and then Leeds Beckett in the final 8-4. Here’s hoping their next visit to Lancashire is just as successful.

Red Rose report: Chris Bickley, SCAN Sports Editor

After last year’s positive draw, we know we have the momentum to pull off another strong result. It’s also six players’ final Roses, so they’ll be making sure there’ll be no other result than a win.

Nouse Verdict

York’s recent record at Roses in this sport suggests this should be a reliable source of points for the White Rose. The Ladies Firsts have finished third in the last two seasons in a highly competitive league and under Laura Carruthers they go to Lancaster as national champions, which will surely breed confidence.

The Men’s team have a point to prove after drawing in last year’s fixture. They secured survival in Northern 1A and are well-placed in the lead up to Roses; expect York to win the majority of the 10 points available in the lacrosse matches.