Roses 2016 Preview: Cycling

York’s Most Improved Club of the Year must look to put family ties aside and win eight points for the White Rose

2E03D347 D3CB 44B1 9444 C4DA61352A71 825×510

Ladies Road captain Madeline Crosswaite will be looking to take maximum points at Roses. Photo: University of York

Fixtures

Circuit Race: Sunday, 13:00, Salt Ayre Sports Centre
Mountain Biking: Sunday, 15:00, Salt Ayre Sports Centre

2015 Results

Circuit Race, lost 25-29
Mountain Biking, lost 5-40

Points Available: 8

Inside Track: Ashley Marsh, Club President

How have the club performed this season? 

The summer term is the start of the cycling season so we have only taken part in a couple of competitive events so far, including the BUCS 10 Mile Time Trial Championships where we performed well as a team and the mountain
bikers have just returned from the BUCS Downhill Championships. We also did
a lot of training over winter so we are raring to go for the Roses events.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

They brought a strong team to York last year, so we’re expect them to field a competent team for this year’s competition. That doesn’t worry us though, we are confident with our training and we’re going to go and give it our best.

Which individual cyclists could stand out?

First year Ed Giles has been a great addition to our club and we’re looking forward to see how he will perform. We’ve also had more club members take up racing this year, including our social sec, Matt Broom, and fresher Hugo Tomassi. Fourth year chemist, Matt Skeats, is also looking forward to taking on his brother who is the Lancaster mountain bike captain.

Why should people come and watch the cycling?

Although our event is off campus that shouldn’t put people off come to support. The cycling events at Roses are varied and we also make a great atmosphere. Bring your noisy cowbells and come along to see the UYCC take back what is rightly ours!

Year in a Tweet

The York Sport Union have showered praise on the Cycling Club this year. UYCC won Most Improved Sports Club at the Colours Ball and were also named the Union’s Team of the Week for their ‘hard work to increase women’s participation in sport’.

Nouse Verdict

Only the hardiest will relish a trip over to Salt Ayre to watch the cycling- it’s a windy spot. Chances are, though, that the Cycling Club could well bring back eight points from their toils there. Despite a setback in losing both Circuit Race and Mountain Biking events last year, they have pedigree on Lancastrian soil after whitewashing them at the last away Roses in 2014. York will be well represented in cycling.