Festivals 2016: Live At Leeds – Preview

Now in it’s tenth year, Live At Leeds delivers a fantastic line-up across it’s eclectic selection of venues

Celebrating its tenth anniversary, the award winning festival Live At Leeds has achieved in its line up an even larger success this year of showcasing an array of upcoming artists on the verge of breaking onto the larger music scene. Yet not excluding established names, the special appearance of double Grammy award-winning soulful Leeds-born singer Corinne Bae Railey and popular music artist Jess Glynne will be sure to surprisingly delight fans that are only anticipating a truly alternative festival experience Live at Leeds tends to offer. Mystery Jets who have floated through the indie scene since 2003 will appear along with Circa Waves, Band of Skulls, We Are Scientists and Ghostpoet just to name a few. Also headlining will be Blossoms. Taking a second consecutive appearance on stage, and having impressed me on one of the smaller stages last year for the first time, the calibre of the band proves that they have rightfully risen quickly to the top of the festival circuit, whilst the Live at Leeds will welcome back Slow Club who made their first appearance at the festival nine years ago.

Young talent Rat Boy winner of NME Awards’ Best New Artist of 2016 has clearly made an impression on critics. Taking a spot alongside these experienced artists and bands, Rat Boy will bring a twist to Jamie T-esque sounding vocals and a charming, eclectic style to the table, whilst easing the presence of many electric-guitar heavy acts will appear the rising star singer-songwriter Shura with her smooth electro-pop tones. Also appearing is York singer-songwriter Benjamin Francis Leftwich. With his last album released four years ago, he will gracefully return the stage with his soothing familiar acoustic-folk sound, whilst the indie-pop band Los Campesinos!, whose energetic live shows have been said to be the reason for the rise of their popularity, is sure to rock the crowds to a storm.

The metropolitan festival will see these acts splayed over twenty venues across the city for the whole day ranging from humble, eccentric pubs, well-used music venues to the established O2 Academy Leeds. The Independent describes the festival as “an expansive, ambitious festival offering superb value for money”. Indeed, with over 100+ acts compacted in this one city, fans should anticipate some intense timetabling and walking. Having hosted acts such as James Blake, Everything Everything, Lianne La Havas, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Ed Sheeran and many more at earlier stages of their music career, Live at Leeds has an eye for spotting real talent before commercial success.

A festival not to be missed from the appeal of its affordability, quality and range of acts, the perfect combination of seeking fresh talent for your collection whilst having the safety net of guaranteed enjoyment from the headlines renowned talents will make the day well worth attending.

Live At Leeds Festival takes place on April 30th in Leeds. Tickets are available at £32.50+BF on their website.