Festivals 2016: Latitude Festival – Preview

dissects what’s in store for this year’s revelers at Suffolk’s finest festival

PHOTO: latitudefestival.com

PHOTO: latitudefestival.com

This year Latitude has continued in the same vein of signing up offbeat, collector’s item acts, thrown in with a handful of recognisable headliners, usually on the rise or decline. Stepping up on the opening night are The Maccabees, who, along with contemporaries Foals, Florence and alt-J, are leading the charge for the next generation of line-up toppers. Closing the weekend on the Sunday are New Order, still going strong 30 years after making their first splash; last year’s Music Complete proved that you can still achieve commercial and critical acclaim into your third decade.

Sandwiched in the middle are The National who will, with the help of Daughter on Saturday’s Main Stage, offer the weekend’s heavy meat. Elsewhere, there are more new faces rubbing shoulders with seasoned names. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Father John Misty and Kurt Vile & The Violators will bring internationally renowned and respected sets to the Main Stage, playing back to back with the filler of Britian’s festival future in the form of Slaves, Chrvches, Rat Boy and Frightened Rabbit.

It will however be the line-up over on the The Lake Stage, curated by Radio 1 DJ and new music figurehead Huw Stephens, that will host the most interesting set of future starlets. Huw has signed up Yorkshire folk talent and Sound of 2016 shortlister Billy Marten, and hip-hop beginner Loyle Carner to head up the bill; also featuring are Welsh talent ESTRONS, much-hyped one man rocker Declan McKenna and singer-songwriter Louis Berry.

The jewel in Latitude’s crown is of course is emphasis on the arts in its widest sense. Theatre, dance and circus performance are all on show, with big names Russell Howard, Paul Merton and Josh Widdicome heading up the comedy bill. It’s a strong year all-round for Suffolk’s biggest weekend.

Tickets for Latitude Festival are available now through their website, with day tickets starting at £84.50.