Album Review: Everything You’ve Come to Expect – The Last Shadow Puppets

After an eight year break from their beloved side project, Alex Turner and Miles Kane return to the music scene as The Last Shadow Puppets once again

Photo: Album Artwork

Photo: Album Artwork

Rating: ★★★★☆

Alex Turner, the well-known frontman of the popular indie band Arctic Monkeys, and his close friend Miles Kane, formerly of The Rascals and currently making a name for himself as a solo artist, have joined forces for the first time in eight years to produce the second album of The Last Shadow Puppets. This has been one of the most hotly anticipated comebacks in a while, with fans of the duo taking to social media to express their excitement.

The well-oiled dynamic duo has moved away from the sounds of their first album (The Age of the Understatement) and developed a more mature style. Everything You’ve Come To Expect is slicker and more refined; clearly in the time the two spent on their own projects they grew up a bit, embracing a new approach to music.

The first song on the album, ‘Aviation’, is the perfect opening and sets up the rest of the LP. With Kane taking the lead on this song and Turner providing flawless harmonies, this song demonstrates that The Last Shadow Puppets are back in full force. The return of the warming sound of the string section is a worthy accompaniment to the album: guitar and strings fitting together harmoniously.

The second song, ‘Miracle Aligner’, demonstrates extremely clearly how TLSP have matured with lyrics such as “get down on your knees, get down on your knees again”. Very obvious sexual connotations and innuendos are laced through more than a few of their songs.

Although their sound and lyrics have matured, the duo seem to have stuck to their roots with songs such as ‘Used to Be My Girl’ and ‘Dracula Teeth’ sounding very similar to songs from The Age of the Understatement.

‘Bad Habits’, which is featured midway through the album, is a welcome break from the gentle, hazy songs that come before it with Kane once more taking the lead. The biting, nonsensical lyrics like “sick puppy” and “there’s a black infinity parked outside blocking somebody in” mixed in with the loud, up-tempo guitar do not fit with the rest of the album, but somehow it still works.

The album then slows back to its original lustful haze and easy pace, with songs like ‘She Does the Woods’, ‘Sweet Dreams, TN’ and ‘The Dream Synopsis’ sounding all too similar to Arctic Monkeys’ song No. 1 Party Anthem.

Thankfully, the last song on Everything You’ve Come to Expect, ‘The Bourne Identity’ rounds off the album well, almost sounding as though it could appear in a film score. It is on this song that Turner really comes into his own, supported by the backing vocals of Kane, drawing the album to a close. It is clear why the duo work so well together and Everything You’ve Come To Expect was worth the wait.

1. album lives up to it’s namesake, very tired. 2/5