Trends – LFW AW16

From bright fuchsias to black choker neck accessories – the fashion teams’ pick of AW16 trends

1.Pink

Image:

Image: Malik Haddington Ahmed

Image:

Image: Deborah Lam

In this 2016/17 season’s offering of colours, pink, fuchsia and red made a surprising appearance. The eye-catching bold shades surfaced across the runway; though less popular than the more earthy beiges and greys, the vibrant and vivacious colour is an appealing, much needed addition to autumn and winter wardrobes.

2. High neck cut outs

PS 24619378113 1e467c933d o

Image: Deborah Lam

Image:

Image: Jack Richardson

High neck cut outs were prevalent on the catwalk scene this year; the frilled edging and delicate ribbon tying the collars together was a defining neckline across the runway. The gaping quadratic cut out beneath is reminiscent of the keyhole design made popular in 2015 and tones down the severity of the look.

3. Natural hair

12789644 1735561136677979 1455848787 o

Image: Show PR

Image:

Image: Deborah Lam

Natural hair made a much needed appearance on the catwalk this season, as the usual straightened and relaxed styles were held back in favour of diversity. House of MEA, Roberts-Wood, Topshop, and Clio Peppiat all proudly featured models with their natural Afros, breaking up the monotony of European hair on the catwalk.

4. Sequins

Image:

Image: Malik Haddington Ahmed

Image:

Image: Jack Richardson

Sequins and sparkle, the sophistication with which the McQueen line adorns its gauzy garments, seems befitting a description more than just simply sequins. Always a crowd favourite, adding the vitality and liveliness that a show requires, the best way to harness the look is by adding it in hints: a skirt, or bolero so that it is not overpowering.