Students plead with Uni to save Studios

An art studio in Wentworth College is at risk of being closed because of budget cuts

Students who want to save the Wentworth Art Studio have been told to make their case to the University, as the Studio’s future still remains in doubt.

Kate Dodd, Academic Registrar, told Nouse: “The University is having to make some significant cost reductions and is looking carefully at where these can be found. The studio space will remain available for use and there are no other plans for the rooms.

Image: Lacey White

Image: Lacey White

“A variety of different parts of the University, including History of Art, the Centre for Lifelong Learning and YUSU are considering ways in which the Studio can be managed on a more sustainable financial footing in future.

“Increasing the usage of the Studio and making them more accessible to other groups doing art, like the YUSU Art Society, would seem like an essential element of a more sustainable financial model.”
This dialogue between the University, YUSU and individuals connected to the Arts Studio is currently underway. Campaigners hoping to save the Arts Studio are set to continue lobbying the University to maintain the service, and are currently working on a YuFund application should it be necessary to raise the money independently of the University and its affiliates.

Kenza Auniere, the student behind the initial petition to save the Studio, told Nouse, “we are heading to 400 signatures soon, but we are at a tricky point”.

YUSU President Ben Leatham said: “Having met with the organisers of the petition it is really obvious how beneficial the Wentworth Arts Studio and the tutor positions are. A meeting to discuss the proposal with the relevant University staff is taking place after the end of term.

“I am determined to ensure the views of those who use the space are represented and that a model is devised that enhances the Studio and encourages more to use it, as opposed to compromising it.”