New study into worst uni gender pay gaps

The University of York 5th worst Russell Group University for gender pay inequality

An investigation into pay inequality at British universities by the University and College Union (UCU), has placed the University of York as the fifth worst Russell Group University for gender pay inequality. UCU represents 110,000 university stakeholders.

Image: wilkernet

Image: wilkernet

This status is calculated by assigning points to universities for each salary category. The method ranks Higher Education Institutions “according to the combined total for all academic staff, early- career, mid-career and two methods of measuring the gender pay gap for professors – the pay gap and the ratio of male to female professors, designed to capture the disproportionate number of male professors in UK universities”.

The University of York was also ranked third worst Russell Group University for the gender pay differential between professors, with women earning 8.5 per cent less than their male counterparts.

16 out of the 24 Russell Group Universities made it into the 87 institutions with the largest gender pay gap, with the London School of Economics having the worst combined gender pay gap ranking for a Russell Group University, at third overall with 68 points.

St. George’s Hospital Medical School is ranked as having the largest pay gap with 93 points, 25 points ahead of the next highest ranking university.

According to the Times Higher Education pay survey 2015, during the year 2013/14, the overall academic staff average pay was £7,747 less for women at York, £2,095 more than the average gender pay gap in English universities. The University of York’s Equal Pay Review 2013 shows that there was an average pay gap of 20.6 per cent.

This pay gap experienced a constant reduction between 2008, and 2013, although it remained higher than the national average between 2008 and 2013 respectively.

1. If you don’t take into account experience levels then this study completely disregards any progress that has been made towards gender equality. Women are not payed less because they’re discriminated against now, but because they have been in the past and therefore have been employed more recently, don’t have the same experience as their male counterparts and are payed less as a result.