College chairs deny Westival is competing with Big D

College chairs have denied that ‘Westival’ aims to compete with Derwent’s annual Big D event.

The chairs of the colleges behind the planned summer event ‘Westival’ have told Nouse that the event in no way seeks to compete with other events, namely Big D, and that YUSU specifically changed the date in order to avoid competiton with the Summer Ball, which is set to take place on 7 June.

Image: Derwent College

Image: Derwent College

The event, which will seek to replace ‘Woodstock’ during the day and then transform the Roger Kirk Centre and The Lounge into a club with a headlining act performing on the night, will be run in order to support four college charities.

The colleges behind the event hope to raise a sizable sum of money for their respective charities: York Mind (Halifax), SASH (Vanbrugh), The Island (Alcuin) and Age UK (James).

The event also hopes to have a number of other supporting acts performing throughout the day, which are expected to be confirmed shortly.

YUSU will assist in the running of the day event, however questions have been raised over why YUSU changed the original date of the event from 29 May to 11 June, by which time it is expected that many students will have gone home, and to what extent YUSU should play a role in college planning.

Commenting on the date change, YUSU President Ben Leatham stated: “The number of student led events that take place after exams finish next term is staggering. Four Colleges have come up with a fantastic idea for a large scale event to add to the mix.

“When looking at dates for events of this nature we have to consider whether YUSU will have sufficient resources available to support the student groups so they can run a successful event. The confirmed date for Westival is 11 June and we are working closely with the organisers to ensure it is the best it can possibly be.”