The BRITs vs The Grammys

The Nouse Music Team debate the good and the bad of two of the world’s most famous music awards ceremonies

landscape showbiz 54th annual grammys red carpet 25

BRIT AWARDS

THE GOOD

Despite not being a fan of the BRITs myself, there are undeniable positives that come out of it. For years now the awards show has allowed itself to present popular and some alternative music to the mainstream public who may not be too involved in music in general. The BRITs openly put on a brilliant live show and usually host quality entertainment to the masses without the pretence that goes hand in hand with music and musical awards in general.

A perfect example would be Lorde’s tribute to David Bowie. Although I am not a fan of Lorde herself, I appreciated the show’s decision to choose her (seeing as she was a friend of Bowie’s) and more importantly give back to Bowie in a respectable and mature way. Very unlike what the Grammys did with Gaga’s shambolic performance to say the least.

The inclusion of Gary Oldman and Bowie’s official band performing brought a bit of magic to the BRITs and for that, I’m pleased to not wholly hate the awards.

Ant Noonan

THE BAD

As everybody’s favourite annual musical shambles the BRIT Awards arrived in February, the music-buying population held their breath in anticipation to see who would win the coveted ‘Best Album’ award: cackling London songstress Adele, big-voiced awards-vacuum Adele, or loveably popular British singer Adele (It was Adele).

But aside from the massively predictable awards winners, the BRIT Awards just aren’t interesting anymore.

There’s nothing of the antics that you’d see in the 1990s. There’s no Liam Gallagher figure to make a tit of himself in a cocaine induced haze. There’s no Jarvis Cocker to invade the stage and bare his arse at Michael Jackson as he performed dressed as the Messiah surrounded by small children (it really is a wonder why those allegations even surfaced in the first place about the King of Pop).

2016’s edition saw the usual array of mediocre artists (hello, Little Mix) performing mediocre songs to an audience of 16-year olds who view Coldplay as The Beatles of our time.

Is it really any wonder why people are losing interest in the BRIT Awards? It seems to me the only option.

Jack Davies

THE GRAMMYS

THE GOOD

Both the Grammy and the BRIT Awards highlight achievement in an artist’s career. Both these awards symbolise the pinnacle of their career and how much work they’ve done. The Grammys, which are determined by academy members, who are esteemed professionals.

This means that the winners are deemed talented artists as opposed to ones with the biggest fanbase.

For me, the Grammy Awards is bigger than the BRIT Awards. Perhaps it’s the vast exposure I’ve had to it in comparison to the BRIT Awards. Growing up in Hong Kong, the Grammy Awards were shown on the larger networks and repeated more often than the BRITs so I’ve seen more of the Grammys and am more familiar with it.

Based on the viewing figures, it appears that I’m not the only one who watches more of the Grammys than the BRITs. This year, the Grammys drew in 24.95 million viewers in comparison to the BRITs’ 5.8 million. While popularity does not mean quality, it gives a good indication.

Minal Daswani

THE BAD

The Grammys has for decades been the best comedy show on television, and 2016 was no exception. This began with the nominations:

Slipknot and Death Cab For Cutie were going head-to-head over ‘Best Rock Album,’ while The Weeknd received a staggering seven nominations. Florence and the Machine managed to contest both ‘Best Pop Vocal Album’ and ‘Best Rock Performance,’ and Meghan Trainor was nominated for ‘Best New Artist’ despite the fact that it feels like decades since she pissed-off everyone with her saccharine wheezing.

However, the best gags came on the night itself. Muse beat the hilarious field to ‘Best Rock Album’ with their dreadful bore-fest, Drones; Adele proved that pop goddesses aren’t industry robots after all by singing quite spectacularly off key and crying about it afterwards, and the world at large was given their annual reminder that Kendrick Lamar’s real surname is, in fact, Duckworth.

Some people say that The Grammys is the most prestigious of the music awards ceremonies; I assume that the same people thoroughly enjoyed reading Sister Carrie. It’s a laugh-a-minute.

Ben Phillips