Alternatives to high end makeup

looks at beauty offerings that don’t break the bank

Giving this cosmetic hoarder access to a Sephora store would not be too different to allowing a small child the freedom to run riot in a candy shop, or handing a diamond to a magpie. High end make-up, though, comes hand in hand with spending a small fortune. The budgeting student need not compromise on quality, however. With a little trial and error, there is a plentiful array of alternative drugstore products that retain the longevity and eminence characteristic of more elite cosmetic brands.

Collection Contour Kit £4.99 Vs Smashbox Contour Kit

Contouring has undergone several incarnations over the past few months: there are those who swear by it as part of their makeup regime and others who loathe the bronze and highlight ritual. With contour kits currently being one of the most in demand, and dearer products on the drugstore shelves, Collection provide a staple alternative to high-end chiselling palettes. The kit offers a buildable contour powder which is impressively versatile and suitable for light to medium skin tones. The highly pigmented highlighter powder is the perfect accompaniment to setting a liquid highlighter too – not bad for the price tag!

No7 Instant Radiance Highlighter £9.95 Vs Benefit High Beam Highlighter

Benefit’s High Beam; a liquid-candyfloss creation packaged in a nail polish bottle, is great if you’re after high drama glam, but for something more suitable for daily wear and a student budget, No7’s Instant Radiance Highlighter is a nifty little stick that is small enough for any handbag and blendable for any makeup look.

Maybelline Eyeshadow Palette The Nudes £9.99 Vs Urban Decay Naked Palette

‘Half-baked’ may be what dreams are made of, but it also requires taking out a small loan to purchase one of Urban Decay’s esteemed eyeshadow kits. Maybelline’s The Nudes is the perfect alternative to getting those inner corner highlights, shimmery creases and outer corner dark points just right, with a dozen shades on offer ranging from beige to charcoal tones, which are both buildable and blendable.