Game Review: Gurgamoth

reviews a fast paced flying fighting game

Image: Galvanic Games

Image: Galvanic Games

Rating: ★★★★★
Platform: PC, Mac
Release Date: 16 February 2016
Developer: Galvanic Games

Gurgamoth sits as a near perfect game. For the most part this is because it’s very simple and there’s not a lot to go wrong with it. But this doesn’t mean that you should appreciate its sheer brilliance.

You are one of an assortment of colourful magic users attempting to summon the titular Gurgamoth by sacrificing your fellow mages.  Charge into your enemy in order to knock them into an environmental hazard and try not to hit one yourself. Duck, dive zoom around trying to out think up to three opponents. It’s a simple concept but the game really is one of those “easy to learn, hard to master” type games.

The game doesn’t sit on its laurels of the core game play and offers a number of different maps that vary up how you need to play. From spiked walls to spiked balls that you can direct and a giant laser orb! Whilst it does offer up some variation there’s not much there. Perhaps the games strength is also one of its biggest weaknesses. No real story, no multiple game modes, no hats! It’s a stripped back experience meaning that you’re probably going to love it or hate it.

Buyer beware however as you 100% need other people to play this game. And not just other people but other people there with you as the only available mode is local co-op. This severely restricts when you can play it. It also very highly recommends that everyone plays with a controller and I really have to agree.

Gurgamoth makes for a brilliant party game. Easy for people to pick up and have a laugh with as well as creating plenty cool moments. Whilst it’s maybe not a game you can play for a long time you’re going to enjoy every second of it.  I should point out that the review key for this product was provided by the developer free of charge.