York win College Varsity for first time in history

Wentworth’s Volleyball win secures the tournament for York on home turf

Image: Philippa Grafton.

Image: Philippa Grafton.

York has beaten Durham for the first time in the tournament’s three year history. The winning moment came in the Volleyball game between Wentworth and Durham’s St. John’s College. Strong performances across Women’s Football, Hockey, Rugby and Basketball in particular saw York’s win come with Darts and Badminton games still left to play.

Durham won last year’s tournament by lunchtime, in what was considered a whitewash. Durham also won the first ever Varsity back in 2014. By contrast this year went to the wire, with York rewarded for a day of hard work with a win at around 17:30. They made the all-important 53 points ahead of contributing scores from three remaining fixtures.

Grace Clarke, York Sport President, told Nouse she was “absolutely over the moon to win this thing for the first time. It was the product of an incredible effort from everyone.¬†Amy and Esther, the College Sport Officers, have been gems. Without them today wouldn’t have happened.”

“Durham have one of the oldest and biggest college sport systems around, so it’s incredible to beat them!”.

A number of injuries came in the Men’s Rugby A and B matches, with two players taken to hospital following very physical scrums. One Durham player is understood to have sustained a serious knee injury. It follows concerns raised earlier this term about the playability of 22 Acres, after one player broke his leg in Varsity Qualifier matches.

Nouse’s full coverage of the day can be read here.