Constantine crushes derwent

A well deserved and dominant win for Constantine, who brilliantly rose to the occasion

Derwent
7
11
Constantine
Credit: James Hostford

Credit: James Hostford

While Derwent kept up the pressure in a fixture that promised a tight fight for points on paper, Constantine asserted their complete dominance over Derwent, 11-5, to force them closer to the mid-table. Only a single place had separated these two prior, and after a narrow defeat to Langwith, Derwent were hoping to bounce back only for Constantine to peg them back further.

Their skill was demonstrated straight off the bat by winning both their singles games 21-19 and 21-18, in both cases fighting from behind at the half way point to return victorious.
A plethora of errors plagued both Derwent singles players and had no response to Constantine’s consistent cross-court play – a worthy and effective tactic against Derwent’s smash-centric badminton style.

The men’s doubles proved a more even affair, with each college taking two points each before Constantine taking the women’s doubles in a similar vein to the singles – 21-18.
However, in any game, the majority of the points are won and lost in the make-or-break mixed doubles games. Despite their hard work beforehand, Constantine were immediately down by three points, forcibly having to forfeit the points due to the absence of a third ladies player.

At this stage, the point haul was five a piece, including the forfeit points, meaning it was anyone’s game to win, or lose. A closely fought contesting few minutes made for a gripping series of exchanges.

Nevertheless, the mild setback proved nothing more than a slight hindrance in Constantine’s dominance, with their mixed pairs taking a total of six out of six points from their games, leaving Derwent trailing.Throughout their matches, they expressed a fine display of placement, often exposing Derwent for their poor movement and covering ability.

The result adds to a well deserved and dominant win for Constantine, who brilliantly rose to the occasion. It sees them carving out a name as a college with a true proclivity for the sport.

Constantine: Dack, Jones, Kittipol, Cooper, Kirkum, Nicholson, Barker

Derwent: Doswell, Wan, Cheung, Garcia, Campbell, Elliott, Maju

Player of the match: Phil Jones