Editor’s Comment: England’s Six Nations

thinks it might be England’s year

Image: M+MD

Image: M+MD

As the Six Nations rolls back around, so does afternoon drinking in D-bar and Wilkinson and O’Driscoll on the big screen. Making its debut on ITV, head coach for England Eddie Jones has also got off to a good start considering the embarrassment that was the World Cup.

After beating Scotland 15-9 in Edinburgh, he has promoted Youngs, Lawes and Vunipola after their stepping up at Murrayfield. He asserted confidently that “We want to go out there and smack Italy. I said to the boys already that’s our aim: to go out there and give them a good hiding.” This seems to have paid off.

As they really did “smack Italy” with a result of 9-40, could this be England’s year?
It certainly isn’t Ireland’s year as they drew with Italy and lost to France, both games being painfully close. It will be interesting to see how the Six Nations pans out especially as they all played so poorly in the World Cup – could it be  that this has become an event for us to reassure ourselves that we can play rugby? But only against other sub-standard European teams.

Other results of note are those closer to home, like the current elections for the new York Sports President. Clarke’s colourful reign is still not over however, with all the biggest sporting events yet to come: Varsity, the Colours Ball and of course Roses. Her enthusiasm will be hard to beat and it will be interesting to see whether her focus on equal opportunities continues.

Whoever does step into her rainbow-laced shoes will undeniably be faced with a lot; the sporting community here at York is an incredibly large one and equally one rife with opinion. This year has already seen a continually growing list of concerns with college sport on a weekly basis. It will be interesting to see how this is presently tackled but more importantly handled in the long term. Perhaps they will follow the likes of Eddie Jones and assert their predetermined success over the matter, or listen to our very own Dr. Hodgson and his lecture on leadership – we will not know till the next academic year.

For now, sport is brimming with a multitude of events, so enjoy, as the sun s slowly raises it head again.