London Fashion Week AW16: Day One Summary

A look through the shows from the first day of fashion week 2016

Kick starting the day off in familiar roots of London, the Vinyl Factory, just off Carnaby St, housed the first show of the day; Clio Peppiatt.

Clio Peppiatt

clio peppiat

Image: Jenny Cao

After waiting in queues bending and spilling out and along the streets we soon became immersed in the quirky, unconventional 1950’s ‘Rocky Horror Picture House’ themes that precluded from the first show. Sparkly hats, bell boy outfits and the flashing lights akin a motel sign, Clio Peppiatt interwove the settings of some of the most original films, such as The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Shining and American Horror Story to underpin her new AW16 collection, aptly named in homage, ‘Motel Clio’. Definitely one of the first designers to include dogs, on her show space the model’s playfully posed with the loud and temperamental accessories.

Steven Tai

Image:

Image: Jenny Cao

Moving a few tube stops away to Tottenham Court Road to the Elms Letters Painting Rooms, the lovely Steven Tai created a quaint, floral, homey, cosy setting with tea in china cups and models in rocking chairs quietly, embroidering away.

Three Floor

Image:

Image:

Floralistic approach with lace and embroidery across the body, in rich colours of plum, deep orchid and black to epitomize the evening wear.

ONG – OAJ – PAIRAM

IMG 4265

Image: Zohra Khan

Elegant and sophisticated evening gowns that were set off by the grandiose and palatial Carlton House Terrace.

Edeline Lee

IMG 4078

Image: Jenny Cao

The black and white square tiled floors of the Edeline Lee show had strewn bits of multi-coloured paper, streaming down the mirrored walls, providing  a disorientating back drop to the minimal black white and red garments.

Barrus

Barrus

Image: Zimbio – Barrus

Barrus’s stylish and beautiful evening gowns fused shades of black, white and oxblood, interwoven with French and beaded lace. The patterns brought to life on the gowns echo elements of Turkish Marbling, tying in the designers own heritage with the contemporary pieces.

Paul Costelloe

PAULCOSTELLO AW16 4

Image: Stephanie Alcaino, stephaniealcaino.com, @stephalcaino

Upbeat and powerful tones of James Brown, enlivened the polished pristine Meridian Hotel for Paul Costelloe’s AW16 collection which was inspired by the modern day female warrior, armed with elbow length leather gloves.

Pam Hogg

pam hogg

Image: Zimbio – Pam Hogg

The electric and bedazzling clothes from Pam Hogg’s catwalk show emitted strong themes of 70’s punk with silver spikes and studs in a central Mohawk down the models head wear. Tie die and primary colours, voluminous hair, and platform shoes gave off the essence of glam rock. Black stars were key throughout the collection paying homage to the late David Bowie.