University’s highest salaries have risen disproportionately

Increases in staff wages between 2011 and 2015 have been disproportionate

Image: Carl Spencer

Image: Carl Spencer

The proportion of the University of York’s staffing costs spent on higher paid employees has increased between 2011 and 2015.

Between this period, the percentage of the total staff costs spent on salaries for employees earning £100,000 – £159,999, if the higher end of the band is taken, has increased from 0.95 per cent to 3.11 per cent. The number of staff earning £100,000 – £109,999, increased from nine in 2011 to seventeen in 2015.

Two higher salary bands were reintroduced in 2013 and subsequently in 2014, placing the highest paid member of staff within the £140,000 – £149,999 and £150,000 – £159,999 categories respectively. This excludes the Vice-Chancellor Koen Lamberts who earnt £229,167 in the financial year ending in July 2015, below the national average of just under £275,000 per year.

Defending this disproportionate increase in the cost of the highest paid members of staff, David Duncan, University of York Registrar and Secretary commented: “Over time, the ​proportion of staff earning over £100k has inevitably crept up, and will continue to do so, due to overall wage inflation and market pressures.

“We are confident that our salary bill is not out of line with our competitors; salaries of senior academics and managers are benchmarked against other universities using data supplied annually by the Universities & Colleges Employers’ Association.”

According to The Times Higher Education pay survey, for 2013/14, the University of York paid “other senior academic staff,” excluding professors, an average of £98,611, which is £19,422 above the average in England. An article published by The Guardian states that: “pay for university bosses has soared by 14 per cent over the last 5 years.”

Nouse conducted this investigation into staff salaries at the University of York based on the University’s publicly accessible yearly financial reports.