Students dissatisfied with campus laundry

University in talks with Circuit Laundry to get SLA agreement

Image: Dan Powell

Image: Dan Powell

YUSU President Ben Leatham has been in talks with Circuit laundry to push for a Service Level Agreement (SLA). This would mean that there would be guarantees of standards, repairs and servicing.

Gaby Kendrick, Goodricke JCRC Chair, has told Nouse: “I brought the maintenance issues of the machines in Goodricke to YUSU and to my knowledge that has resulted in further investigation into the operations of Circuit laundry as a whole. I have found YUSU to be very helpful and attentive in my dealings with the situation.”

David Duncan, the University’s Registrar and Secretary, has however commented on the University’s understanding of the issue stating: “Overall, we think the service provided by Circuit (who supply 90 per cent of the HE sector) is satisfactory.”

There has been some recognition of issues with Circuit laundry among students at the University. One student commented: “The washing takes sometimes double the amount of time stated on the machine and the cost of washing for the standard of service is overpriced.”

The University of York agreed an eight year contract with Circuit laundry in 2012. An SLA would provide a standardised level of service and an agreement between the University and Circuit laundry.

Leatham said: “The University has a long-term contractual agreement with Circuit laundry. This is concerning considering the large number of students who are dissatisfied with the laundry provision on campus. Unfortunately, due to the contract, there is no possibility of changing provider at this stage. Despite this, it has recently come to light that the University doesn’t have a Service Level Agreement with Circuit.

“In my opinion this is unacceptable. Over the next few weeks I will be working with the University to produce an SLA that will commit Circuit to delivering a quality level of provision on campus.”

1. Hi Amy,
    I’m student at Cardiff University.
    We’ve been having similar problems with Circuit, and I believe that they may be in breach in contract. Students are loosing money and not getting the service they need.
    Would I be able top contact you privately?