Ron “determined” to get re-elected

Despite attempted Vote of No Confidence, Thomas Ron is “determined” to be re-elected

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Academic Officer Thomas Ron has told Nouse of his determination to be re-elected to his position in the current YUSU Elections despite information of a Vote of No Confidence tabled against him becoming public knowledge.

“I am determined to pursue re-election,” he said. “I love working with students and the last six months have been a privilege. I believe positive change has been made during my term thus far and with the plans I have, I am certain I can continue to deliver more changes that improve students’ academic experience.

“One of the hardest parts of being Academic Officer has been learning to engage with, understand and act on feedback and criticism from others. It’s also one of the most important parts of the job and one I take very seriously, regardless of the motivations for the criticism I have received.”

Though details of the terms of the Vote remain unclear and unconfirmed, the Policy Review Group issued a statement last week, outlining that, “due to the high degree of complexity involved in this case, the PRG agreed with YUSU to temporarily suspend the investigation in order to seek external expertise on the more delicate issues of the motion.

“While the PRG is incredibly disappointed that it is unable to perform its accountability function in this case, we respect that the unique circumstances ultimately mean that the issue lies outside of our remit.”

Ron is standing against Tamaki Laycock and Lisseth Inza for the position of Academic Officer in 2016/17.