Oxford runs ‘access event’ for top school

Radley College at Oxford University has been criticised for hosting an ‘access event’

Chapel, Radley College, 22 05 2007 University College Oxford, one of the University of Oxford’s 30 colleges, has been criticised for hosting Radley College, one of Britain’s top independent schools, at an ‘access event.’
The event was denounced by the college JCR, calling it “indefensible” and passing an emergency motion condemning it.

The prestigious Radley College is an independent boarding school for boys in Oxfordshire, with current fees set at £11,475 per term.

The college accepts boys from the age of 13 and encourages early registration permissible from birth. It is one of only four boys-only independent boarding schools in England.
The University of Oxford claims to be committed to outreach programmes, spending over £5.6 million on such projects and £7 million on financial support for “students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds”.

A University of Oxford spokesperson said: “Oxford University’s colleges and central admissions teams undertake a range of what is broadly called ‘outreach’ activity providing information and advice about our application and selection process, the overwhelming majority of which involves state schools.

“What we designate as ‘widening access’ work is work specifically targeting under-represented groups from state schools to apply. We spend the vast majority of our time, energy and resources on this type of activity and do more than just about any university in the country to engage with state schools.

“However, like all universities, we also undertake a certain amount of student recruitment activity that is designed to provide up-to-date information and advice about the admissions process to all students who might be able to make a competitive application to Oxford, whatever type of school they attend.”