Nouse Devours the Oscars (Bonus Entry): 2015 Oscar Trivia

With Oscar night nearing, we offer some random Oscar related trivia to get you through the 12 days until the ceremony

The 88th Academy Awards Ceremony will take place one week from Sunday on February 28. Nouse is counting down with a look at a new category each day, but as we continue, here are some additionally interesting factoids about this year’s slate of nominees.

Image: Getty Images

Image: Getty Images

For the second time in a row Alejandro Iñárritu directed the film to earn the most nominations (Birdman earned nine in 2014, and now The Revenant has twelve). The Revenant marks his third film to be nominated for Best Picture behind Birdman and Babel (2006).

Roger Deakins (Sicario) and Thomas Newman (Bridge of Spies) are both celebrating their 13th nomination, Deakins for Cinematography and Newman for Original Score. Neither have won.

This year sees three double nominees in a single category. Costume designer Sandy Powell earned double nominations for Carol and Cinderella, Andy Nelson is nominated for sound mixing Bridge of Spies and The Force Awakens. Producer Steve Golin is nominated for work on Spotlight and The Revenant. Powell and Nelson have won multiple times before.

Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett (cited for Steve Jobs and Carol respectively) both earned their seventh nomination this year. They remain five nominations off from meeting the record of Oscars favourite C/Kate (Ms Katharine Hepburn), who has 12.

Sylvester Stallone (nominated for Creed), Charlotte Rampling (45 Years) and Jennifer Lawrence (Joy) are the only performers who are the sole nomination for their respective films.

Jennifer Lawrence, at 25, just became the actor to earn 4 nominations in the quickest time. This record was previously held by another Jennifer – Jennifer Jones – who earned four nominations by 27 in 1947.

Stallone, meanwhile, breaks the record for the longest gap between nominations for a performer nominated twice for playing the same role. He was first nominated for playing Rocky in 1976. This record was previously held by Paul Newman who was nominated in 1961 for playing Fast Eddie in The Hustler and then won in 1986 for The Color of Money.

With Bridge of Spies earning a Best Picture nomination Steven Spielberg has now directed eleven films to a Best Picture nomination. This puts him second behind director William Wyler who directed thirteen films to a Best Picture nomination(from Dodsworth to Funny Girl).

11 of the nominated actors are nominated for playing historical or biographical characters. This beats the previous 2013 record where 9 of the nominees were basedon real life persons.

John Williams celebrates his 50th nomination for his work on Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This is actually his 44th nomination for Original Score and with that he breaks Alfred E. Newman’s 43 nominations records. (Williams earned four additional nominations for Original Song.) He has won five.

Tom Hardy (Mad Max: Fury Road and The Revenant), Domnhall Gleeson (Brooklyn and The Revenant) and Billy Magnussen (Bridge of Spies and The Big Short) appear in two films nominated for Best Picture. Ultimately, Gleeson tops them all by having each of his 2015 films earning nominations – the other two being The Force Awakens and Ex Machina.