Game Review: ZHEROS

charges head-on at this new brawler

2016 02 14 00002Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Platform: PC
Release Date: 15 February 2016
Developer: Rimlight Studios

ZHEROS is a game that is not inherently bad. It is equally not a game that I could recommend anyone to play. And that’s actually quite sad because it’s clear that a lot of effort has been put into it and it’s not far off being a really good game.

Maybe the biggest issue with it is that it’s just so generic. From the characters to the aesthetic, through the music and level design it’s all just so… alright. For much of the game I have no real complaints other than it’s just not that interesting. Almost every aspect of the game gets a solid pass mark and yet none of it is memorable.

So the fate of the game then rests on its core game play which is brawling combat. And this combat is good, actually it’s pretty great. There’s a large number of different moves and the fighting is broken up with the use of your shield or dodge roll and your gun which has limited ammunition but can be devastating to a large group of foes. The problem with the combat however comes from the enemies.

For the most part you’ll be squaring off against packs of little white robots with guns who are no threat whatsoever – you beat them up and move on. And this continues for a good number of levels, and it’s fairly repetitive and boring. This lead me to assume that this game was designed for younger children who are just getting into gaming, which given the aesthetic might not be the biggest assumption in the world. However then I got to some of the bigger enemies.

To take as an example the ‘Bull’ enemy. This guys has a number of attacks (such as a wind up where it then charges at you) and each one of them requires very precise timing to avoid, and often getting hit by one means that you get hit by more and lose a significant portion of health. Or other times where multiple of the same enemies are introduced and they end up almost permanently stun locking you, causing you to lose a tonne of health because you tried to roll away a fraction of a second too late. So whilst I claim no expertise as a player of brawlers I feel confident in saying that this is not a game that kids could play.

ZHEROS then is a game with flaws, that is ultimately OK. It could even be a good game but it’s just missing some key something. So it’s worth keeping an eye on the developers, they may bring out something great in the future. But ZHEROS isn’t a game that many people will find worthwhile playing.  It’s worth noting that the review key for this product was provided by the developer free of charge.