York student assaulted on Lawrence Street

The first year student says he was punched in the face in an unprovoked attack

A first year History and Politics student was punched in the face by a stranger on Lawrence Street in the early hours of the morning of Sunday 24th January, in what he says was an unprovoked attack.

Eddie Kaziro left a house party shortly after midnight on Saturday 23rd to accompany his friends to a nearby shop when he was singled out by a stranger, who ran up to him and hit him in the face. Kaziro then fled from his attacker.

Kaziro’s friend was on the way to get cigarettes from a shop across the road from the house party. “I saw someone run behind [my friends] and wack me straight in the face,” Kaziro said. “I didn’t actually get a look at the guy…and he just full on hit me straight in the face. Then I remember pegging it after that.”

“I shouldn’t have to be walking around the streets fearing for myself, fearing people running up to me and hitting me,” he added.

Kaziro, who is black, said that the incident is “being regarded as a hate crime”, and an investigation into the attack is currently underway.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Police are investigating reports of an assault that took place near the BP petrol station on Hull Road, York.

“A man in his 20s was allegedly punched by another man, who then made off.

“The incident took place at around midnight on Saturday (23/01/16).

“We’d urge anyone who witnessed the incident, or anyone else who has information, to get in touch immediately by calling 101 and quoting crime reference number 121600 13822.”

1. And this my friends is why guns should be legal in this country. Why should I or any innocent person put up with a broken nose if some lowlife decides to attack?