Could 2016 be Warhammer’s year?

runs through the various Warhammer games coming out over the course of the year

Image: THQ Insider on Flickr

Image: THQ Insider on Flickr

If you like Warhammer video games, then my goodness are you in luck. Warhammer has a long and varied history with no fewer than 44 different titles. Whilst they range in quality drastically, between renowned classics such as Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War and mobile flops like Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance, if you want a Warhammer game you’re spoilt for choice. The tail end of last year alone saw a good handful of Warhammer titles being released.

With titles such as Blood Bowl 2 and Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide finding critical success, whilst the early access title Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena is universally panned, the franchise continues its spotted history. The question then is what does the future contain? With games workshop hitting the canon reset button with the introduction of the Age of Sigmar for Warhammer Fantasy the possibilities have opened up and we can hope to see lots of new interesting stuff in the future. But what about the immediate future? I’ve put together a quick list of the upcoming games.

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
Release Date: In Early Access
A game that looks like Battlefield, but in the 40k universe. Classes, vehicles and a solid melee system make for an interesting looking multiplayer shooter. But with a surprisingly cartoony look and a looming in-game cash shop its potentially not going to pull in the hardcore fans.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Release Date: March
A fantastic looking RTS space game. Flying around in ships that have lots of cannons. And if shooting holes in your enemy isn’t fun enough you can just ram through them. The ships have been painstakingly recreated from the lore across four different factions. Compartmental damage and environmental effects mean it is likely to be full of strategy and both singleplayer and multiplayer modes should mean that it’ll keep being fun for a long time.

Total War: Warhammer
Release Date: 28th April
Let’s be honest, this is what everyone wanted when they played Warhammer as a table top. The Total War series has always been pretty good, and twinning it with Warhammer will hopefully make for an unforgettable experience. If you’re a fan of Warhammer you’ve probably already pre-ordered it.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Hulk – Deathwing

Release Date: Early 2016
Left 4 Dead but in the 40k universe (seeing a theme here?). Improving on the already popular formula with a class system and upgrading. Looking to potentially emulate the success of Vermintide this four player co-op looks like an absolute blast.

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr
Release Date: 2016
Details on this game are pretty thin on the ground. But it looks like it’ll be Diablo but in the 40k Universe. Coming from the developers of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing it’s got a good pedigree and is likely to have some fairly solid gameplay.

There’s plenty to look forward to this year then for Warhammer fans. Some of these games absolutely need revisiting before release when there will be more details about them, but I know that I for one am looking forward to a great year exploring Warhammer though video games.