Women’s Football to open Roses 2016

With 91 days to go, York Sport Union announce that Women’s Football will contest the opening ceremony of the War of the Roses

UYWAFC will open York’s defence of the Carter-James Trophy in Lancaster, York Sport President Grace Clarke has revealed.

The Women’s Football Firsts fixture, worth four points to either side’s total, will occupy the showpiece opening ceremony slot on the night of Friday 29th April.

Leading on from the female bout on Friday Fight Night at last year’s festival, this will be the first time that a women’s fixture has opened Roses.

Clarke was “over the moon” to confirm the news, which she did in a Facebook post.

“What an amazing season these girls have had already” she enthused in the post.

“I cannot think of a more deserving group of girls to lead us to victory. Roses are most certainly white.”

In a further statement given to Nouse, Grace stated: “The club have trained and played intensely this year, celebrating some fantastic wins with unbelievable goal differences.

“They work relentlessly both on and off the pitch.

“Following the huge success of the England Women’s Football team in last year’s World Cup and the presence of England Football Manager, Roy Hodgson on campus last week, this opening ceremony could not come at a better time.

“They are an inspiring group of girls and I cannot think of a group any better to lead York to victory in our away Roses this year!

Following promotion as champions last year, the team have won four of their five games in BUCS Northern 2B and sit second with a game in hand.

This announcement is another huge fillip for the club- not part of York Sport’s elite performance programme this year. They have also seen their second team fixture be added to the Roses schedule as an exhibition event.

With the tournament 91 days away, Club President Sophie Jermy commented: “We are so proud to be featured in the opening ceremony.

“This is not only a massive achievement for us but for women’s football and women’s sport in general.

“We’ve already had a brilliant start to the season  and we can’t wait to bring this success to Roses” she said.

“Thanks so much to York Sport Union for giving us the chance to showcase what we can do. Lancaster are not going to know what’s hit them!”

Last year’s women’s football firsts game ended in a 2-2 draw, with Anty Cole scoring a brace for the Black and Gold.

This was the first time in the history of the fixture that the home side had not ended the winner.

The White Rose’s last away tournament win came in 2008, a feat they have only achieved four times in the competition’s 50 year history.