Cold conditions pave the way for determined Langwith side

Langwith Firsts
7
1
Halifax Seconds
Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

It was a frosty morning when Langwith and Halifax took to the 3G for their premier division game. Halifax were resplendent in their new kit, sporting a black diagonal stripe à la Tottenham, while Halifax hadn’t quite got their kit order in  and took to the field in a wide array of whites and blues, as well as a Juventus strip.

Halifax kicked off but surrendered possession too easily to a Langwith midfield that looked comfortable in possession the entire game. A succession of Langwith throw ins led to the first chance of the game, Hamill combining well with the front two but the shot was eventually wide.

Halifax weren’t winning enough balls in the middle of the park and found themselves under pressure; centre back Leach came close when his header from a long free kick was flicked towards the goal but the Halifax keeper was equal to the task and gathered the ball with ease.
Langwith were still confident in position, Benney proving key in slowing down the game and not allowing Halifax to break, yet couldn’t find an opening. A searching through ball found Maney, but he was shepherded out. Halifax started to step into the game for the first time with some good linkup between Arulufela and Farrington that pushed deep into the Langwith third but ultimately didn’t create a decisive chance.Yet Halifax left themselves over-extended and Hamill played in Eniretyan, whose shot rolled in despite the keeper getting a hand to it. 1-0 Langwith.

Langwith had the chance to go through the gears, they’d had the majority of possession and Halifax’s lone striker Farrington looked isolated. It seemed only a matter of time till they put the game to bed, but a Halifax long ball caused a small scramble in the box, which fell to Halifax 9 whose shot powered into the bottom left corner, 1-1 and game on!
Langwith restarted the game with renewed energy, determined not to be behind at the break. Eniretyan drove forward and rolled the ball across the six yard box, but Langwith’s onrushing midfield just couldn’t touch it into the net. Maney proved the difference however, when he was quickest to seize a loose ball and tap it into the open net. Langwith were 2-1 up at the break.
At the restart Halifax looked disheartened and Langwith soon took charge. Speculative efforts from Parsonson and Gohil-Patel, paved the way for a bullet from Eniretyan which was saved but left a tap in for Hamill, 3-1. Hamill was on great form and at the heart of the Langwith attack, which was relentless.
Minutes after his goal he was instrumental in sweeping into the Halifax box and shooting, the rebound falling to Eniretyan who laid it off to Maney. Easy finish and a goal, 4-1. Langwith were just going through the motions and Halifax rarely threatened, bar from Farrington beating his man, only to be recklessly challenged by Langwith keeper Vasiliu.
The tireless Halifax striker was forced off the pitch but no foul  was given. Halifax’s best creative outlet was blunted and Langwith pressure was constant. Halifax conceded three more times, Tennant-Fry notching first, followed by deserving striker Eniretyan. The captain Gohil-Patel finished a downtrodden Halifax off, 7-1.
Langwith emerged clear winners. Halifax came into the game with a clear plan that contained Langwith for a while, but they let the Hes East team have far too much possession and as the cold and time wore them down, Langwith picked them off with ease.