Album Review: Panic! At The Disco – Death of a Bachelor

raves about Panic! At The Disco’s somewhat unusual fifth album

Source: Press

Source: Press

Panic! At The Disco were one of the quintessential bands of my youth and in my opinion, they’re still going just as strong today. Sure, in the 10 years since ‘I Write Sins Not Tragedies’ first made its way onto the scene the band has changed quite a bit. As the last remaining original member of the band, Brendon Urie takes full hold of the creative content of Death of a Bachelor and has produced an album unlike any other in the band’s history.

The album starts off strongly with back-to-back energetic hits: ‘Victorious’, ‘Don’t Threaten Me With A Good Time’ and ‘Hallelujah’. ‘Victorious’ is more of the kind of thing that fans of the band’s previous album Too Weird to Live, Too Weird to Die! would expect. This is a good, stable starting position for the album, one that makes the transition to the more experimental tracks of Death of a Bachelor much easier. ‘Don’t Threaten Me With A Good Time’ takes the famous baseline of the The B-52’s 1978 track ‘Rock Lobster’ and gives it a modern Panic! At The Disco twist. Finally, ‘Hallelujah’ was the first single to be released off the album way back in April last year, but it remains as catchy and as energising as ever.

Now we’ve really got to address the tracks that make Death of a Bachelor like no other Panic! At The Disco album. The Sinatra-esque style of the ‘Death of a Bachelor’ about half-way through comes as quite the shock. I’m not going to lie, I had no idea that Urie could sing like that! This track just proves that Panic! At the Disco has become much more than just the emo-pop band recognised from their humble beginnings (not that there’s anything wrong with that style either). The shock of the hearing ‘Death of a Bachelor’ at such a late stage of the album really reignites your intrigue and makes you want to finish the album even if it’s just to see what else Urie & co. have up their sleeves.

So when you hear the swing style of ‘Crazy=Genius’ straight after ‘Death of the Bachelor’ and then the big-band track ‘Impossible Year’ thrown in at the end, you can’t help but admire the band’s diversity. This sophisticated and grandiose final song is the perfect way to draw a fantastic album to a close. The song’s dramatic rise and fall gives ample opportunity for Urie to show just how good of a voice he has, something that has been completely brought home by the entire album. Death of a Bachelor shatters all preconceptions that you may have had about Panic! At The Disco and just goes to show that a change in the band’s membership is not necessarily a sign of inevitable decline.

Listen: ‘Death of a Bachelor’ by Panic! At The Disco