Weekly Blues – Dispatches from the Conservative Frontline

Image: York Tories

Image: York Tories

The Conservative Party has long since placed emphasis on people owning their own homes, of course the most notable example is Right to Buy by Mrs Thatcher, which allowed council tenants the right to buy the home they were living in at a reduced rate in order for more people to own their own homes and get onto the property ladder. Recently Mr Cameron has announced his housing proposals for the future; he wants to rebuild and revitalise many housing estates, in order to offer people better opportunities and, as he put it, build houses that people ‘feel they can have a future in’. One considers the drive for home ownership as admirable, it offers people greater security and to own a home is historically respected within British culture. The proposal includes 100 housing estates and would offer better and more homes to residents, the finer points of the plan are to be decided but this a great step forward with many of these estates having been built after the Second World War. We all know the caricature of those who live on horrible estates, and the long term effect this can have on their well-being and future, such as long lasting impacts on health, and impacts to do with child development and safety amongst others. Personally anyone who disagrees could be considered regressive, and I would expect wide ranging support for these proposals if the finer details can be arranged well.

One could not feel sufficiently satisfied without mentioning the junior doctors’ strike that occurred last week, unless of course one is Mr Corbyn in PMQs. In 2012 a study was published suggesting that patients were at an increased risk if admitted during the weekend rather than the week, as such the Conservatives have proposed a more 7-day service, which includes certain GPs opening and increased staffing during the weekend. In order to achieve these aims the government has offered doctors an 11% rise in basic pay however the British Medical Association believes there are not enough safeguards against excessive hours which would put patients’ lives in danger and would actually exacerbate the problem. This is the problem, now what is the solution? The solution does not lie in striking, since the dangers are too great, and junior doctors simply cannot reassure the public of their safety and it is unfair when many and indeed nearly everyone is dependent on NHS services. However I do admit that there needs to be a change because as a nation it is deplorable that junior doctors feel they do not have a future in the NHS and as such need to move abroad, we must provide a viable attractive future for them.

What does not need improvement however are York Tories events, as such with the debate on surveillance which occurred last week which passed without fault and proved provocative to those who attended, although if one is not sated by it or wants to get involved, this Friday we will be hosting Daniel Nesbitt from the Big Brother Watch think tank. If you do feel like getting more involved, you can always get yourself a membership to the York Tories or subscribe to us on social media, for all the delights it brings and the interesting people you will inevitably meet.

Stefan Schuller is the Campaigns Officer of the York Conservative and Unionist Association