York Refugee Week commences

The week aims to raise money and awareness

refugeeweek A week of activities to highlight the current refugee crisis will take place at the University of York from the 18th to the 22nd of January. Organised by the Environment and Ethics Committee, its aim is to raise money and awareness of the issues faced by refugees.

There will be a talk by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) on Monday, followed by a number of activities throughout the week, culminating in an Open Mic night in Courtyard on Friday.

In 2015, more than a million refugees crossed into Europe fleeing conflicts and disaster zones around the world. Ellie Miles, an organiser of the event commented that: “With over 19.5 million refugees worldwide, and inadequate governmental responses to this growing crisis, it is imperative that people are made aware of what they can do to help, in whatever way possible.

“York Refugee Week will educate, spark debate, and raise money in order to promote positive change.

“There will be several experts and practitioners throughout the week who can further educate people about different aspects of the crisis, as well as several interactive events, such as a workshop on Wednesday that will teach people how to respond to the refugee crisis through a human rights framework. Beyond this, there are more creative events, such as mural painting and an Open Mic night in Courtyard on Friday.”

YUSU President Ben Leatham said: “I am incredibly proud of the work the Environmental and Ethics Officers, Tess and Jacob, have done in organising Refugee Week.
“They are incredibly passionate about educating people and raising money for those affected by the current crisis.

“I will be attending as many of the events that I can and helping to promote what is going on wherever possible.”

More information can be found through the York Refugee Week Facebook page and individual event pages, where tickets can be booked to secure a place and avoid disappointment.