Mysterious email concerning an incident at Halifax College

The e-mail stressed how the incident is “being investigated” and has “been taken very seriously by the college”

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

There have been concerns this week over a “serious incident” that took place in Ainsty Court, Halifax College.

In a mysterious e-mail, sent by a College Tutor to residents of Ainsty, students were reminded about some basic safety information. This included a reminder to: “not let [people] into the building unless you know for certain that they live there” and that students should “lock [their] bedroom doors, particularly before [they] go to bed at night”.

The e-mail, which stressed how the incident is “being investigated” and has “been taken very seriously by the college” didn’t give any sort of indication as to what the nature of the incident was.

Students were, however, understandably left with a sense of bewilderment and worry. One first – year student living in Ainsty said how “it is worrying that the e-mail didn’t explain the nature of the event. Who knows what exactly happened, but you can only assume that someone has tried to break in and that is a worrying thought.”

YUSU’s advice is: “Student safety is an absolute priority. If you have concerns that a stranger is trying to access accommodation then please contact your college tutors, and utilise the University ‘Safe Zone’ app which can allow security to be called to your location on campus in case of emergency.”

Students were reminded that if they ever had concerns about their security then they should contact security as soon as possible on the following numbers; 01904 323333 (emergency) or 01904 324444 (non – emergency).

1. The last paragraph is in correct:
    Security centre contact numbers are NON emergency 01904 32 4444 and the EMERGENCY number is 01904 32 3333. wrong way round.
    Regards