Severe flood warnings in place for York’s student housing

The Environment Agency warns flooding may incur danger to life and advises preparation for evacuation

Image: GOV.UK

The Environment Agency has issued six severe flood warnings for York this evening, advising many to move valuables to upper floors and prepare to be evacuated should an emergency situation arise.

Search and rescue teams are on standby as up to 3500 properties could be at risk, the BBC reports, and rivers are yet to reach their peak levels, which is expected to happen on Monday.

The areas most at threat are those in close proximity to the River Foss, including student housing in Huntingdon, Tang Hall, Osbaldwick and Foss Islands.

In its warning issued online the Environment Agency advised residents to listen for updates and any instructions issued by emergency services on the local radio and other media. Those at risk are also reminded that the Agency’s Flood Incident room is open and they may call the Floodline 24/7 on 0345 988 1188.

The Press reports that an emergency rest centre has been set up at Archbishop Holgate’s School for those affected in the Tang Hall and Huntingdon Road areas.

Flood warnings have also been issued for the River Ouse in the city centre. According to the Environment Agency “The current level at York is 4.2m and expected to reach 4.8m to 5m tomorrow morning. Levels are also likely to continue to rise as the river reacts to rainfall that has fallen throughout the day and will fluctuate with the tide.

“We will continue to monitor the situation closely throughout this period and update this message as new forecasts become available.”

In addition to the city centre, warnings concerning the River Ouse have been issued for Fulford, Clifton, St Georges Field, Skeldergate and Peckitt Street, and others. GOV.UK has the full list of flood warnings for York and further afield.

If you are away from York, or in the city, and have concerns or questions about the safety of your student property, the University’s Security Number is now open for advice.

Ring 01904 323333 whether you live on or off campus.