BUCS Short Course Success for York Swimmers

Club records tumbled at the first gala of the season with highlights in the 400m individual medley and the 200m breaststroke

Untitled 2 York kicked off their campaign on the Friday evening, with hopes of repeating last year’s success in the freestyle relay. New recruit Peter Schlichter stole the show however, setting the first club record of the weekend with a 17:31:59 in the 1500m freestyle.

The ladies were up next, and the freestyle relay team of Grace Gilmour, Jemima Beaumont, Fiona Whiting and Beth McArt set the bar with a time of 2:05:19. York’s men were able to enter three strong relay teams and none disappointed – 1:45:42 for the C team, 1:41:51 for the B team and a new club record of 1:38:74 for the A team of Jacob Shaw, Ethan Somerville-Jones, Ryan Conway and Bill Timpany.

The Saturday session started with the men’s 200m freestyle event and another club record for Bill Timpany with a time of 1:56:59. Grace Gilmour posted a 35:57 in her 50m backstroke before captain Ryan Conway swam a 29:34 in his.

Newcomer Sam Timpany narrowly beat Chris Unsworth by one hundredth of a second in their 50m breaststroke heat, Fiona Whiting then chalking up a 39:23 in her event. The men closed out the morning session with several entries in the 100m butterfly, including a 1:01:61 for Simon Duston and a rapid 57:75 for Bill Timpany.

More club records tumbled in the afternoon’s races, with Chris Unsworth smashing the 200m breaststroke record in a fantastic time of 2:31:71. The girls stepped up first in the 50m freestyle heats, a 30:37 for Fiona Whiting and 34:06 for Jemima Beaumont. Up next were the men, determined to show Lancaster their depth of squad, and Ethan Somerville-Jones swam a 24:07 to set the fastest time.

Another club record was then set by Peter Schlichter in the 400m individual medley with an impressive time of 4:46:66. York’s men rounded off the day by comprehensively beating Lancaster in the medley relays, a 1:50:56 by the A team leaving them in no doubt as to the strength of this year’s squad.

Sunday’s session began equally well. Bill Timpany became the first UYSWC member to complete a 200m butterfly and set the benchmark with a 2:10:46 that will surely remain unbeaten for some time to come.

The 100m freestyle heats were up next; Fiona Whiting and Jemima Beaumont continued their consistent form, posting times of 1:10:25 and 1:17:02 respectively, and Victor Amara impressed with a 55:56 in his first gala for the club.

The men carried this momentum into the 100m breaststroke, with Rob Mason winning his heat and Chris Unsworth setting a club record time of 1:09:60. Peter Schlichter then clinched his third record of the weekend with a rapid 200m individual medley time of 2:15:59 before Jacob Shaw closed out proceedings by winning his 100m backstroke heat.

Captain Ryan Conway was pleased with the performance of all swimmers: “it’s been a great weekend, the B team relays beating Lancaster’s A team is really motivating. Setting nine new club records is a fantastic effort too, with four for Bill and three for Peter. I’m now very keen to get training again ready for Roses!”

Captain’s Pick: Bill Timpany